Railroad Forums 

• LV 1100 class 10 wheelers.

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#187043  by scottychaos

Anyone have any info on the LV 1100's?
I know there were 35 of them:
1131-1165
class J25 1/2

I found one webpage that says some of them were Alco built.
I always thought some were Sayre built, but im not absolutely sure about that.
and I just found one webpage reference that said "may have been rebuilt from older locomotives"
I thought they were all built new??

They have always been a favorite LV class of mine, very uniquely LV!

I am reading the new Herb Trice book "The Gangly Country Cousin"
the new book about the LV Auburn Division.
Mr. Trice says "As the original EC&N engines wore out and were scrapped, they were replaced by available Lehigh Valley types that met the weight restrictions imposed by the light superstructure and limiting curvature of the Elmira & Cortland branch. In 1917-1918, a dearth of lightweight engines suitable for the branch caused the Lehigh Valley to build thirty five small 4-6-0's (numbured 1131-1165 on theLV roster) A great success in branch line work, a stable of these sturdy ten-wheelers served on the Elmira & Cortland branch until the end of steam operations on the division."

This class appears in many books, especially on the branch lines. and many of them were among the last LV steam locomotives operating.
Many of them were based in Sayre.

anyone ever seen a model of one?
or a drawing?
driver size?
hmmmm..might have to consider building one! :P

thanks,
Scot

#187193  by scottychaos

woo!
found some of the answers..
Lloyd Hall trackside Waverly/Sayre/Towanda book, page 22.

All of the 1100 class were built by the LV in Sayre.
63" drivers.
even if I cant locate a drawing, I have a few photos that are nearly straight-on side views..knowing the driver size, I can make a full-size scale photo..that should work fairly well to get the rest of the dimensions..

Scot

#187595  by scottychaos

yet more info:

Built by LVRR Sayre Shops
No. Built 35
Year 1917-1918
Type 4-6-0
Class J-25
Cylinders 20" x 24"
Driver Diam. 63"
Boiler Pressure 190psi
Tractive Force 24,609lbs
Weight on Drivers 104,500lbs
Total Weight 137,000lbs

#187625  by GRSJr

I have photos of 1137, 1140, 1146, 1150, 1154, 1155, and 1158. The scans of 1154 and 1158 are particularly clear and 1158 is a engineer's side view, great for getting dimensions.

I can post some of these or I'll send the ,jpg files if you'll E-mail me your address.

#187629  by scottychaos

Ray,
sounds great, I would love some pics!
please send them to:

sscotsman (at) yahoo (dot) com

thanks! :P
Scot

#187658  by GRSJr

Scott,

On their way. I don't know the sources for these .