Railroad Forums 

• Lurgan Tower

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#33330  by SnoozerZ49

Hi,
I was wondering if someone could help me with a question? I used to live in Boiling Springs, PA which is on the old RDG just east of Mt. Holly Springs. When I left the area, Lurgan Tower was still controlling the CTC. I would guess by now that the tower must be closed. Who controls the ctc these days?

One last question, is the little depot still standing at Lee's Cross Roads?

Any response would be appreciated.

#33503  by IRN750

you are right the tower is closed. The building may still be standing I seen pictures of it on another site. The CTC is run from the NS Disp. office in Harrisburg and is controlled by the the Harrisburg Term Disp.All trains now go via the old PRR branch to Hagerstown from CP Ship. The station at Lees Crossroads is gone .

#33585  by SnoozerZ49

Thanks for the reply.
It has been so long since I have been down to the Cumberland Valley, I have to get back this year. To bad about Lee's Cross Roads Station, it was really kind of neat.

I was lucky enough to have been able to spend some time in Lurgan Tower. It was a real neat place. To date myself, the Dillsburg branch of the PRR was also still in place around WIlliam's Grove where it crossed under the RDG. There was also a lot of the old RDG line north from Mt. Holly Springs to Carlisle still in place around 1982.

Finally I can remember Conrail running through trains through Mechanicsburg on the old PRR Cumberland Valley line around 1980. They made a hell of a racket dragging through town ( about a block from my apartment.)

Thanks again for that update.
 #1248562  by philipmartin

I stopped in Lurgan tower for a visit near the end of 1982, before I bid in Hager. I was surprised that the straight track that ran by it was CSX (former WM) on one side and CR (former Rdg.) on the other.
Town, in Hagerstown, had CR operators on first and second trick, and a CSX operator on third trick.
When I worked Hager, the CSX BL2 diesel would occasionally run cars between their yard and the CR/NW Vardo/Shomo yard. I'd call a railfan friend at Upper Bay near Port Newark, NJ, and let him listen to the BL2 go by.
I took a look at Pennroad tower too, the day I was in Lurgan, from the outside because it was closed by then. It looked just like G tower in Belvidere where I worked for four years.