Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#476025  by Ken V

On Tuesday December 4, VIA train #1 departed Toronto Union Station with the following consist:

F40-PH2 6435
HEP I coach 8142
LRC coach 3333
LRC coach 3309
LRC (VIA1) club 3461
Skyline 8516
Waterton Park

This was a shuttle consist sent out to meet a late #2 at Capreol and then return to Toronto. It may be the first and possibly last time that LRC equipment has been used on this route in revenue service.
 #476443  by jp1822

Interesting - Kudos for VIA to continue the journey via train rather than trying to bus passengers. I've heard a lot of stories so far that this has not been a very good early winter travel season for the Canadian. Any relief in sight? How many consists this past week have made it all the way with out a stub train or bus or plan ride?
Last edited by jp1822 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#476835  by Ken V

I don't know how many, if any made it all the way. What with snow/rock slides in British Columbia and freight derailments in Alberta and Northern Ontario blocking the main line, it hasn't been a very good week for CN or the Canadian. At one point VIA's Vancouver Centre had almost no spare equipment left and no functional locomotives (using a trackmobile to do yard switching) and later, two westbound consists of the Canadian arrived there combined together. The shuttle train reported above was the only one used this week and VIA had to charter a lot of buses to get the passengers where they were going.

As of now, CN is reporting all lines are clear and hopefully it will stay that way for a while.