Railroad Forums 

• Lowell Line - Winchester, Woburn, Wilmington Spottings

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1540736  by l008com

So I was riding the little trail opposite montvale yard on the winchester/woburn line and notice that two of the box cars were on the ground. A closer look and the tracks on the yard siding were all messed up. Looks like one of the cars split the switch and it caused all sorts of problems. I took some pics, I'll post them later.
 #1540853  by l008com

Yeah must have been my uhhhhh fancy lens that makes it look like I was standing right on the track. If I ever were to hang out on active rails, I would certainly be exceedingly careful and very aware of where the trains are.

But back to the boxcars, does anyone know what's going on? I'm surprised nobody with first hand knowledge has commented.
 #1540918  by B&M 1227

looks like the mec box picked the switch as they were shoving in. probably led to the stock rails spreading and the snc car dropping in the gauge.
 #1540919  by l008com

Given where the car is, wouldn't that have also meant the locomotive would be on the ground too? Did they have to pick up a locomotive and put it back on the tracks?
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1540922  by B&M 1227

there were likely more cars against the engine. assuming one of those went on the ground they should have been able to tug it back on the rail with wood blocking.
 #1540924  by B&M 1227

they're really not supposed to give out any company information. sometimes things leak out from parties involved, but they're forbidden from stating anything publicly.