Railroad Forums 

• Low Water Button on Locomotive...

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#733954  by NV290

10more years wrote:If CSX caught you blocking in a "low water" button, you'd probably be looking at time if not fired, not too mention the FRA fine.
Their is no FRA fines associated with Engine Protective Devices. So that would not be an issue.
 #734300  by litz

All of our equipment on the BRSR is old ... from GP10s to a GP38 ... they're all maintained pretty well, but on anything 30-50 years old, it's gonna have quirks.

We have locomotives that pop the low water when starting ... pop the low oil when starting ... don't seat the air blow valve when starting (one of our GP10s is infamous for this), etc ... once they get up and running, they run just fine ... it's just that initial startup that can be tricky.

I'm sure pretty much any other road is the same.

We just learn the quirks, and if it doesn't reset properly, we shut down and call for help. The safety devices are there for a reason; better to have the mechanical guys make sure it's all kosher than risk a failure ... after all, we don't want to damage our equipment ...

- litz
 #745378  by Engineer Spike

I have found that there is a bleed valve, which also cuts out the low water button. Sometimes an air bubble gets caught in the line to the protective device. I always make sure that there is enough water in the glass before starting a unit. Yes, some pop until the water circulates. After the prime mover starts, if the button still pops, try to bleed the air out.