Railroad Forums 

• Low-spectrum cab/gauge lighting, seen it?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#331305  by RRSloth

I searched for this topic and found no results. Have any of you ever encountered red or blue cab and/or gauge lighting? I've been a conductor for about two years now, and we had a tunnelmotor that had transparent red plastic "cards" in the cab lights. The gauge light bulbs also had red rubber jackets over them. Same for the former SP AC44 motors with the red switch labels. Just recently, I was working with one of the CEFX big maroon jacks. The nose cab light was blue and pretty neat looking. I've seen some of the new SD70Aces with it too. Any of you rails seen this setup? Red is the lowest color on the visible spectrum, so that's pretty self-explanatory. The blue took me for a bit, though. Thanks for your time.
~RRS
Last edited by RRSloth on Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

#331335  by conrail_engineer

Never seen it, on CSX. Nor on run-through power, UP, BNSF, NS, or the leased units.

#331431  by Aji-tater

LOL, that sounds like a good way to throw out the anchor if you are inclined to do so. Sit there with that cab light on, when the YM asks why you're not moving say you're waiting for the mechanical department to remove the blue light protection. :-)

#331512  by UPRR engineer

Think what you saw was someone with a red or blue marker and some free time on there hands. I have saw reading lights on some motors that had been messed with.
 #333472  by urrengr2003

You all will have to go a long way with your modern units to beat the gauge lighting in the ALCO FA's we had on the NYC. All gauges were painted with floresent paint that appeared normal in daylight. During hours of darkness, operation of the Gauge Light toggle switch illuminated a 'black lamp' up under the overhang of the dash. This made the gauges glow with several deep colors...never distracting from outside or destroying ones night vision. The effect dissapeared however with the introduction of white light: brakemans lamp, passing lights, or overhead Order Light. Know this was done with Packard Cars in the middle 50's but never with other locomotives.