Railroad Forums 

• Lotschberg Pass Railway - Switzerland

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1426940  by lpetrich

Nice views, though I would have liked more identification.

Lötschberg Tunnel - Wikipedia (Kandersteg - Goppenstein) and the new one, Lötschberg Base Tunnel - Wikipedia (Frutigen - Raron).

The latter tunnel is only partially done: about 1/3 is two tunnel bores with tracks, 1/3 is two bores with only one having tracks, and 1/3 is only one bore, that one having tracks. No word on when they might complete that tunnel's second bore.
 #1455435  by lpetrich

Planning contract awarded for Lötschberg Base Tunnel track doubling That tunnel was opened in an unfinished state, with only its eastern bore active, and run in single-track fashion. The status of the western bore over the tunnel's 35-km length, from north to south:
  • 7 km -- not excavated
  • 14 km -- excavated but not completed
  • 14 km -- completed and used as a passing track
IG Valbt, a consortium of engineering companies led by SRP Ingenieur, got a contract for planning the finishing of the middle section, with an option for boring a tunnel in the northern section.
 #1455558  by David Benton

Thanks Ipetrich. I guess if a single track can handle the traffic , why spend billions completing the 2nd track. I presume the passing section is near the middle. With swiss precision, they can probably get quite a few trains through .