Railroad Forums 

• Lot's Of Action On NYSW Today (6-27)

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#30280  by GSP163

I work for a lumber yard right off the NYSW Main in Midland Park & I always see action at least once a day on the line (and we get many NYSW deliveries so that helps) but today was one of those days that you don't see often.......1st around 7:30 a small freight (I believe pulled by 2012) stopped and made a quick drop off and since the train was too big they had to leave cars on the other side of the grade crossing so they would not tie up traffic......After heading south with the load the 2012 came back heading up toward the Oakland area but this time just the engine and no cars......Now here is where it got cool.....At 1pm the 2012 came back but this time with about 10 Orange NYSW gravel cars and was pooring fresh gravel onto the tracks.....Of course this took awhile and held up traffic at the Goffle Road & Lake Ave/Wyckoff Ave Intersectin for about 20 minutes.....The traffic go so bad that Midland Park Police had to show and stop people from running the crossing since there was a good amount of time the train wasn't crossing the road.....The train slowly pulled away but small piles of gravel (about as high as the rails) are now seen up track and around the bend.....Guess they will be back tomorrow to even out the gravel....Not too often do you see action like this on the NYSW during the day.

#30290  by trainfreak

Seems like maintenance season on the NYSW. I think they should be installing that ribbon rail soon. Thats gotta be cool to see but im sure they have to have the line shut down for a little while to put it all in. But the NYSW has been getting more traffic which is always a good thing...for us railfans at least.