Railroad Forums 

• Lost Raritan River Caboose Found!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#63879  by TAMR213

Nice to see some relics of the old "rickey" still around!

#63916  by GandyDancer

Nice job, Tom.

Wouldn't it be cool to see it back in Milltown some day posed next to the freight station?

#63925  by nick11a

Really fascinating. Congrats! Must have had a lot of fun solving that mystery.

#63949  by transit383

GandyDancer wrote:Nice job, Tom.

Wouldn't it be cool to see it back in Milltown some day posed next to the freight station?
It would be neat to get the RRRR boxcar (or a replica) over to the station as well. I think asking for a locomotive would be pushing it, but maybe the URHS can look into this in the future. There are so many other restored/repainted locomotives and the RRRR is a favorite among many New Jerseyans!

#63978  by gravelyfan

Tom,

Nice job of documentation. The DLW typically stencilled the caboose number on the center sill of the car, did you happen to see any numbers there?

There are some "passenger" cars in the NJMT collection at Allaire that were constructed out of DL&W Caboose Frames (the carbody was completely cut down to the frame during the conversion). These cars were put together back in either the late 60's or early 70's at the Carroll Park & Western tourist RR in central Pennsylvania, eventually were used as a display at a shoppping center parking lot in Ocean County, then were donated to the NJMT/Pine Creek folks. The stencilled numbers are still visible on the sills.

Also, RRRR #10, an ex NH car, still exists - it is owned by the Tri-STate Railway Historical Society (based in Morristown) and is in the process of being restored. Last time I checked it was parked on the side track at Port Murray (West of Hackettstown on the NS Washington Secondary).

#64124  by NJTRailfan

It would be quite nice to see the caboose connected to a couple of freight cars and an engine next to that freight station. I would also love to see at the CNJ RR Terminal at Jersey City a restored CNJ Geep with a few of their passenger cars and the commuter push/pull cab standing on a section of track next to one of the platforms to remind people about the railroad service that came in and out of there.

I would really love to see that as well.

#64200  by Ken W2KB

I'd rather not see the push-pull cab. That was a precursor of the abandonment when they went in service a year or so before the Last Day.
:( Just the locomotive and 3 or 4 cars, with the kerosene markers on the end. :-)

#64928  by NJTRailfan

Oh come on 3 or 4!?! Why not atleast go for 6 cars and the engine ;o) . I really did like those push pulls. They weren't that bad.

#76429  by Tom_E_Reynolds

""Also, RRRR #10, an ex NH car, still exists - it is owned by the Tri-STate Railway Historical Society (based in Morristown) and is in the process of being restored. Last time I checked it was parked on the side track at Port Murray (West of Hackettstown on the NS Washington Secondary).""

Does anyone have any pictures of #10 for me?

Can anyone please take a nice digital picture for me?

Please?

-Tom

#76506  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Is RRRR 10 an NE-5 or NE-6?