Railroad Forums 

• Lost and Found

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#356077  by Milesius

I found this about 200 feet from the double tunnels bores in the mountain. It is about 15 in long, it looks broke off on the bottom and broken off from the 2 holes on the top. It looks like from maybe a signal, a fence post of either the old switch tower or the old station there? It could be from the damage of the may landslides they had up there from the weather that wrecked the first switch tower? Please comment for suggestions what it may be? I tried looking up in books but I have a limited selection with no luck. There are some welded numbers that have rusted on it.
Here is the Link
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1170029943[/img]
 #356301  by henry6

I will go with the cap of a signal post, proabably an interlocking signal, may be held a number plate or fixed signal. It sure is the neatest thing you can find when there should be nothing to find! If you don't want it...watch it!
 #356440  by Milesius

It could be, but what are the two holes on the side for? What ever was there was broken off on each side?
 #356644  by henry6

Yeah. Lets see...perhaps where bolt or pin went through to hold on to post or at least keep in place...perhaps for placing rods or somthing to hang additional "information"...Don't know...got to get my Taber out and looksee

#356669  by Tri-State Tom

I've got 2 guesses....

1) Part of the pole(s) that once held a tell-tale assembly.

2) Part of 1 of several line-side poles that held electrical screens along the ROW as a warning/alert system for rock slides.

You can see evidence of the latter system via the DL&W on the west side of Roseville Tunnel on the CutOff.

#356698  by pdman

Yeahhh.... I think you're right on the slide indicator poles.

I printed out the pix and have been carrying it in my calendar sort of as my puzzle of the week.

I remember the things at Roseville Tunnel. I'll go through my old cab ride pictures to see if I have any there.
 #357086  by henry6

Went through the 3 Taber books, Lowenthal's and King's books, too, last night and that form appears atop most block and interlocking signals as well as atop station roof peaks! Not saying they are the same, just appearances indicated same shape and pattern. It probably could have topped other posts like fence posts, etc. It appears the unit sat atop the pole and held the semaphore apparatus. Similarly, dwarf signals comprised entirely of the unit. The hole could be where the axel of the semaphore blade was placed. The bracket held the mechanism (cable?) which moved the blade. This is just conjecture on my part based on what I saw in the books' pictures against which has been posted here. But it would be interesting to get into some DL&W engineering diagrams and archetectural drawings to find out the truth.

YEP

#359107  by henry6

YEP. That is what I saw in all the DL pictures in the books I was able to look at. Top was on everything!

#368680  by Milesius

The top of that post was pointy that you showed. The one I have it rounded. Plus the shape is different.