Railroad Forums 

• Looking for train car for low budget film

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1042772  by mrl72

Hi all

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place or not but it looks like most of the country's rail experts are here :)

We're a film production company looking for the usage of a metrolink/subway style car to shoot in for a few days. We've contacted the various local authorities regarding filming and it's proving to be very difficult to actually shoot inside a stationary car. Our remaining options are replicating the car on set (expensive) or finding a decommissioned car that we can bring our crew to. Small production, low budget, liability insurance of course, no alterations to vehicle (apart from covering the windows). We don't care what city/state is in as we'll relocate there for the few days needed. Maybe someone here can point us in the right direction?

Many thanks!
 #1042827  by franz

It occurred to me you might try some private car owners. Might be much easier logistically to arrange everything with an individual owner.

There is an association of private car owners that might be able to find something for you in your area.

http://www.aaprco.com/

Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about, I just did some searching and came up with this...
 #1042891  by Mr.T

My suggestion would be to try contacting a railroad museum. They might be more agreeable to this than an active public transit agency. I've seen cars from the Illinois Railway Museum ( http://www.irm.org ) in movies, although I don't know what their actual policy is on this. If you mentioned where you are, perhaps someone could suggest a nearby museum that you could try contacting. This might not help if you need a "modern" style car, but some museums have cars built in the 1960's-70's, or which were modernized at some point, that might be modern enough for your needs.
 #1042894  by franz

Mr.T wrote:My suggestion would be to try contacting a railroad museum..
Hey, that's a good idea. An indoor rail museum would have electricity for lights, restrooms, cover from the weather, etc.
 #1043106  by CarterB

Since the poster specifically mentioned Metrolink and subway, I'm assuming he is in LA area.
Therefore contact Orange Empire Railway Museum, Perris, CA; California State Railroad Museum, Sacramento, CA ;
Golden Gate Railroad Museum, San Francisco, CA: Market Street Railway, San Francisco, CA
They may be able to help or tell you where suitable type/s of subway, trolley, or other equipment may be.
Also if he is indeed in SoCal, contact first http://www.larhf.org/
 #1046656  by mrl72

Thanks to all who responded. We are actually based in Florida but we can relocate our production anywhere within the lower 48. We've tried a lot of the museums and they just don't have modern rail cars like subway cars or transit cars. The perfect scenario is to find a decommissioned car somewhere. It could be on the back of a trailer or in a scrap yard for all we care as we would shoot 90% of the film inside and use special f/x combined with shooting on a platform (which is relatively painless with a permit) to make it look like an actual moving train. What does the city do with these cars when they are taking out of service? Surely they must be sent somewhere to be salvaged?

Cheers!
 #1046974  by Jeff Smith

I'd say you're best bet is Metro North Railroad right now; they are currently retiring their M2 fleet which has the look of a transit car. As these cars are retired they are stored in New Haven, CT. Perhaps NYC Transit as well.
 #1046999  by mrl72

Thanks Jeff. Do you or anyone here know exactly where they'll go in New Haven? Edit: I'm assuming you mean New Haven Rail Yard? If so, does anyone have a contact there?

Many thanks!
 #1047000  by Jeff Smith

There is a large yard in New Haven; likely they'd be towed there. After that, Cedar Hill yard, where they'd be picked up. I would check the MNRR Public Affairs office to see about availability and locations. I would think weekends on the lower level of GCT might be good. New Haven and Stamford are pretty busy yards. There is a small yard in New Rochelle, NY.
 #1047985  by Jeff Smith

terrific! Not sure who's in charge of the IRM, but I would suggest you post in that thread as members may have knowledge who post there. Please let us know how it turns out!