Railroad Forums 

• Looking for old picture of smoky Jersey City (from an NJT office wall)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1515507  by pumpers

I'm on a goose chase looking for an old photo that I think was posted here (or linked to it) about 10-15(?) years ago. As I recall (and I could be off on details), it was a view looking down on the Jersey City area waterfront and trainyards, very very smoky and hazy, with multiple sources (locomotives, ...) of smoke rising up, back in the heyday of coal. What stuck in my head, besides the scene, was that I think the original poster mentioned it was hanging in the office of someone in a NJ Transit office in the Jersey City/Hoboken (?) area, and what was posted (or linked) may have been the poster's photo of the original.

I searched as best I could on the NJ Transit and NJ Railfan forums, but I think the stored history only goes back ~10 years(?), corresponding to one of the re-boots of the railroad.net site, and I am thinking this could have been before that.

Has anyone who works at NJT seen anything like that? Or does anyone else have a link to their favorite similar shot?
Thanks, Jim S.
 #1515554  by Marty Feldner

MIght this be the one you are looking for? I downloaded it from one of the forums; it was dated 4-4-23. From my info, it would have been posted in December 2005. (My father had family in that area around that time frame- that's why I downloaded it.)
Jersey City 4 4 23.jpg
Jersey City 4 4 23.jpg (104.22 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
 #1515569  by JasW

I posted a 1924 pick of the PRR Harsimus Cove yard in JC (with a bit of the Erie yard) not too long ago. It's not particularly smoky, but I suppose it qualifies as a "favorite similar shot."

Harsimus Cove - small.jpg
Harsimus Cove - small.jpg (146.7 KiB) Viewed 2694 times

Link to original much larger size: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7839/474 ... a4a9_o.jpg

___
 #1515585  by pumpers

Thanks for the posts. Good pics, but not as all encompassing as the one I remember (or rather, as I (correctly or not) remember it.
I found an old thread with a few links, mostly Erie, viewtopic.php?f=85&t=91945

It has a link to one smoky one (locos lined up at Pavonia) ,http://www.decodog.com/inven/rr/rr28359.jpg which is pretty good, but it's a clear sunny day, which sort of ruins the mood of all the smoke and steam and fog and darkness.

JS
Erie locos steamingp at Pavonia.from Don Ball book.Amer colorful RR.jpg
Erie locos steamingp at Pavonia.from Don Ball book.Amer colorful RR.jpg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 2672 times