Railroad Forums 

• Looking for a Map of the M&E Line

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1339188  by Lackawanna565

I'm gonna railfan this line in a few months. I like to get footage of a train passing an approach slow when heading west towards Summit. Does anyone have a map of the line where the signals are at? Did a search on Google. Nothing came up.
 #1339276  by nick11a

I don't have a map, but I can tell you where it would be. If memory serves, if you are switching tracks at East Summit when heading west, you'll get an Advance Approach at the bridge by Route 24, then at the start of the curve heading into Summit, you'll hit the distant signal which is the Approach Slow (Amber/Amber.) Trains heading west switching tracks at West Summit only will get the Approach Slow at the entrance to the interlocking at the end of the curve. I think the Approach Slow here will be the Amber/Red/Green version.

Incidentally, you get that same "Approach Slow" signal version when you're on the Gladstone Branch heading east into Summit at the location where the Gladstone Branch meets the Morristown (Amber/Red/Green.) I'm not sure why NJT prefers the Amber/Red/Green version here and other home signals requiring three masts instead of the Amber/Amber version which only requires two. It is a home signal, but home signals can use the Amber/Amber version as well. NJT seems to prefer the three mast version on home signals.

Even rarer is the Amber/Amber/Red signal. I've never seen that one, but I've been told that it may have been used in Hoboken at one time.