Railroad Forums 

• looking for a good spot

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#96466  by kevikens

I live in South Jersey but was born and raised in Philly. I like to get pictures of trains going past factories and industrial spots. I am looking to get pictures of trains going past what are the remnants of steel mills. I have photographed the Bethlehem area and the Coatesville region but am now looking for any places within a three hour drive of Philadelphia where there might be an opportunity to get a steel mill and trains in the same picture. Can any of the Pa. railfans give me any suggestions and directions to such a location ? Thanks

#96527  by AlexC

Reading's Belt Line runs past the Carpenter Steel plant. Access to a good photo shot might be tough though.
It's roughly at the intersection of Rt 12 and 61.
Near the Reading Phillies stadium.

If you want some general industry, the NS harrisburg line runs through Royersford. There are some neat looking factories there (but it's not a huge operation).

#96570  by kevikens

AlexC Thanks. I have railfanned the Royersford-Pottstown area and you are right about the general industry, most of which seems now to be shut down. I'll try that Reading spot you suggested. Is that plant still in operation ? Any switching operations ?

#96651  by PARailWiz

One other place you might try is the area along Conshohocken Rd between Ridge Pike and Conshohocken (although that's an active steel plant, ISG). They have a fairly large switching operation. Plus, the Trenton cut-off and the R6 Norristown all run near there as well. There's probably some good photo-ops there somewhere.

#96741  by AlexC

kevikens wrote:AlexC Thanks. I have railfanned the Royersford-Pottstown area and you are right about the general industry, most of which seems now to be shut down. I'll try that Reading spot you suggested. Is that plant still in operation ? Any switching operations ?
The plant still runs, there were a few tracks in there, but when I worked there 8-9 years ago, i didn't see much. The Dana truck frame plant used to ship out truck frames. It's accessed via the spur that runs through the Reading Phillies' parking lot.
You might also want to check out, http://railfanreading.com/Reading.htm

Also, if you get on the Thun Trail, just south of Reading, you can stand above a coal yard that feeds that power plant there.

Don't know about schedules though.

And check out the tristate-rr list on yahoogroups.com
 #97083  by dwil89

Its more like a 4-5 hour drive from Philly, but Johnstown, Pa has the NS Main running through Johnstown and Conemaugh where remnants of old Steel Mills still stand. It is possible to position yourself in some areas to shoot and get some of these old buildings in the background. The Conemaugh and Blacklick shortline runs right through the old Steel Mill complexes. If you ride the Johnstown Inclined Plane Funicular to the top, you can get a nice birdseye view of Johnstown, and when trains run through, it looks like a model train layout from that vantage point. Dave Williams http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/nsaltoonajohnstown