Railroad Forums 

• Look Out, Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1608605  by Gilbert B Norman

Someone's about to snitch your Sleeping Car business:

New York Times

Fair Use:
Mia Reed, a singer from Brooklyn who found trains too costly and airplanes inconvenient, said she was eager to find a luxury bus that would take her to visit her parents in Fredericksburg, Va., after having “nightmare” experiences on other bus rides.

Ms. Reed, 29, said she learned about the Jet on Instagram and TikTok, where videos showed wide seats, powered by “motion-canceling technology.”

Booking online was easy, and the Jet was “beautiful” and “a little bit better organized” than an ordinary bus, Ms. Reed said. An attendant came by frequently during the four-hour trip to check on passengers and pass out snacks, coffee, wine and soda.

“It’s meant to feel like a private jet experience,” said Chad Scarborough, the company’s founder and chief executive. “Hence the name the Jet.”
Somehow, I doubt if this will begin to compare with airline Business Class and its "Open Roomette". This to me looks more like an "Open Double Slumbercoach".

Oh, and lest we have youngsters here saying "what's a Slumbercoach"? Very briefly that was an economy sleeper, or which eighteen were built by Budd during the '50's. That the car slept forty compared with a 10-6 or 11BR sleeping twenty two, it had economics in its favor even considering the greatly reduced price over a "standard". Amtrak acquired all of these cars and assigned them throughout single level trains, but they were a "plumber's nightmare" with sink and potty in each room, and were withdrawn from service prior to the HEP-ing of the "Heritage" fleet.
 #1608606  by STrRedWolf

...not really. I've seen this before, in Japan. There's a few overnight bus companies that provide completely private rooms. They seem to add on to existing sleeper train service, not replace it.

But then, you got to look at Japan's definition of level of service and compare it with Amtrak. All of this is based on trip videos done by "Solo Japan Travel" and "Solo Solo Travel" on Youtube, which are worth checking out. They also have taken Amtrak here. There is also an English guide here.

For instance: Amtrak sleeper car service provides free meals via on-board kitchen (yes, I know about Flex Dining, put that off to the side for now). Meanwhile, Japan's many rail companies largely don't have that... some do provide food but it's bento boxes delivered at a station box and you eat in cafe, or it's a vending machine.

However, you do get a wider range of berths (all but the first give you a blanket, pillow, pajamas, and toiletries):
  • Nobi Nobi: Floor space, basically, with blanket and pillow.
  • Single Deluxe: A bed, a sink, and a desk w/chair, in a private room.
  • Single: A bed in a private room.
  • Solo: A capsule hotel style bed room.
  • Single Twin: A Viewliner II Roomette.
  • Sunrise Twin: Twin beds.
There are showers, but you need to get a shower card and it gives you a limited amount of water measured by time... and they sell out quickly.

For an airline comparison, think American/United/Delta on long hauls vs Southwest. They'll get you where you want to go, but one is built to be no-frills.

...and there's the problem. Amtrak has to provide two levels of long-distance service: A no-frills commuter-level sleeper and a full tourist experience. There's something to learn here.
 #1608611  by Gilbert B Norman

Although in the Fair Use quotation I selected, that addresses a young woman traveling, apparently by day, in the Corridor, the article addresses overnight service between Washington and Nashville - a route Amtrak has never served.

Finally, the article notes the San Francisco- LA sleeper bus has apparently folded.
 #1608670  by Nightjet

For long distance travel that’s not by car, anything other than flying will be a minor niche in the US.

I checked out pricing on the DC-Knoxville overnight bus: $125 to $160 each way. That’s really inexpensive, much cheaper than an Amtrak sleeping car for a similar trip.

I’d fly, though. I wouldn’t want to be asleep in a semi-private compartment; I’d need a door that closes.

Amtrak ought to try a service similar to this bus service: leaving late at night, arriving early in the morning and with a modest price.
 #1608694  by STrRedWolf

Nightjet wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:59 pm For long distance travel that’s not by car, anything other than flying will be a minor niche in the US.

I checked out pricing on the DC-Knoxville overnight bus: $125 to $160 each way. That’s really inexpensive, much cheaper than an Amtrak sleeping car for a similar trip.

I’d fly, though. I wouldn’t want to be asleep in a semi-private compartment; I’d need a door that closes.

Amtrak ought to try a service similar to this bus service: leaving late at night, arriving early in the morning and with a modest price.
I'm with you there. 10 hour+ sleeper service with a basic breakfast served? That's 65/66/67 Night Owl service.

That said, someone please put a station at Nashville. It had one earlier. Why are we not serving Nashville?
 #1608699  by Gilbert B Norman

It's still there alive and well, Mr. Wolf - as a high end "boutique" hotel:

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/b ... /overview/

Regarding rail passenger service, there is a commuter train along the Tennessee Central with "six a weekday" frequency that doesn't exactly serve the population corridors and as a result has never particularly done well:

https://www.wegotransit.com/assets/1/24 ... 102021.pdf

Amtrak had The Floridian on A-Day, but that was a victim of the '79 Carter Cuts. "Always talk" (just as there is about anywhere with two steel rails spaced 4', 8.5" apart) about restoring that route, but I wouldn't be "holding my breath" waiting for "action".
 #1608725  by STrRedWolf

Yeah, I was looking at that while doing some route research for the sequel novel and got disgusted that the station's basically been razed and replaced. I do see room for three platforms given some track layout cleanup, or maybe two with a freight bypass track, plus a parking garage that'll go half to CSX. Already a few bus stops around the area.
Last edited by STrRedWolf on Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1608728  by eolesen

Last edited by eolesen on Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1608730  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, the head house looks intact - or it better be for a $1250ni "boutique" hotel.

When I go to Nashville, a $150ni Express near my friends in Antioch is just fine!
 #1608776  by scratchyX1

charlesriverbranch wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:24 pm There used to be an outfit called Green Tortoise that ran long distance sleeper buses. I haven't heard any news of them in years.
They ran sleeper buses to burning man in the late 90s, that's the last that I'd heard of them.
 #1610268  by bostontrainguy

Yeah a hippy crunchy cross-country old bus as I remember. I drove across country in college with friends and it was a fantastic experience. I'm sure taking the Tortoise would have been a rather memorable trip.