Railroad Forums 

• Long Train

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#758580  by MaineCoonCat

Rumor has it as 295 loads,15,498 tons and 18,061 ft. DPU with 3 leaders,3 sets of DPU power . That's insane! That's got to be a crew's worst nightmare. How fast would they dare run something like that? I would shudder to think about how much real estate would get leveled off should something near the head end decide to go on the ground at 69 mph. I wouldn't want to be in the same county.
 #758608  by slchub

This is the way of the future. Indeed, long trains do make for a nightmare. A few trips ago while headed east between Elko, Nevada and Salt Lake City, Utah (i run Amtrak between Winnemucca and SLC) we had to follow a non-fitting intermodal train to Wendover as he was 9800' in length and the only siding on the Shafter Sub that could accommodate him was Wendover. After we passed him we met our sister train (Amtrak #5 westbound to California) at Arinosa. Right before the east end of Arinosa (about 4 miles) the UP has a TDD detector. Well it was -11 degrees outside with freezing fog and the detector was acting up. Amtrak #5 tripped it with numerous axles showing hot. A quick walk of the train by the conductor and assistance conductor revealed no problems. We knew we were also going to trip it most likely and sure enough, we did. We had to stop and inspect and were on the move again within about 12 minutes. As it is pretty flat out in the west desert and being as cold as it was we can hear the radio transmissions for a good distance and knew the 9800' intermodal at Wendover was no doubt going to trip the same detector there at Arinosa. Sure enough, about 40 minutes later we could hear the detector announcing itself stating that numerous axles where hot and the conductor would have to walk his 9800' train in -11 degree temps with freezing fog and 2-3" of snow on the ground.

I'm not sure what the UP is thinking in regards to the mvt. of such large trains, especially those that travel in the mountain west in sub freezing temps.
 #758697  by UPRR engineer

Efficiency,.... the benefits out weight the risk.
 #758782  by MaineCoonCat

Sure enough, about 40 minutes later we could hear the detector announcing itself stating that numerous axles where hot and the conductor would have to walk his 9800' train in -11 degree temps with freezing fog and 2-3" of snow on the ground.
I'll bet he/she was a really pleasant traveling companion for the rest of the trip!

With these extreme lengths though, are we pushing current technology a bit too far safety wise?

Cartoon Credit: http://thomastoons.typepad.com/thomasto ... rtoonists/
 #758883  by slchub

UPRR engineer wrote:Efficiency,.... the benefits out weight the risk.
Tell that to the Conductor!
 #758920  by TB Diamond

As the rank and file used to say on the RR:

"Uphill slow, downhill fast, tonnage first, safety last"
 #758970  by UPRR engineer

It's part of the job now a days dude, if people cant hang... no ones making them stay.
 #759224  by slchub

UPRR engineer wrote:It's part of the job now a days dude, if people cant hang... no ones making them stay.
I guess that is why I left the UP for Amtrak! But seriously, are you going to argue that based upon what the carrier thinks is best for the bottom line should be tolerable for the TE&Y group? Unless you went over to the "dark side" I can't see anyone in the TE&Y group applauding the carriers decision to run longer trains with less crews/rest.
 #759332  by rwallace2fan1

slchub wrote:But seriously, are you going to argue that based upon what the carrier thinks is best for the bottom line should be tolerable for the TE&Y group? Unless you went over to the "dark side" I can't see anyone in the TE&Y group applauding the carriers decision to run longer trains with less crews/rest.

I agree! With all the trainmen cutoff, the crew should of broke that thing into pieces.
 #760108  by UPRR engineer

Nope still an agreement person there Slchub buddy. Guess im just disgusted now. Watched way too much CNBC during the oil spike and while the stock market fell up until Obama changed everyone that works there.... Obama's pet peacock. I'm now Glenn Beck as a hoghead. I want the Union Pacific to do whatever they need to do to stay strong. I know whats coming next with positive train control, i'll be walking the train with a vest and a box. I think the unions care less about us then the railroads do. Wanting us to vote for someone who thinks spreading our hard earned checks around is a good thing. Someone who is with the tree huggers.... as the motors we use are supposedly wrecking the planet. My thinking is people should be worried about there jobs and put up some effort to keep the railroad strong and be happy they still have a job. Everyone has gotten lazy, at least they still need people to walk trains. Guess i could pitch the idea of Predator Drones to do the inspection?

People complain about the work they get paid to do, and then as soon as its gone, they wonder what happened and why.
 #760110  by slchub

"Guess i could pitch the idea of Predator Drones to do the inspection? "

Love it!
 #760178  by UPRR engineer

The more people complain the worse it seems to get. Railroaders need to stop making a case for there jobs to be replaced with technology. Seems simple enough doesnt it?
 #760285  by slchub

I guess it could be said that we should petition that our RRB contributions be directed at SNN at the appropriate levels/deduction since the technology will wipe out the craft(s) and there will be no need for RRB. I would certainly enjoy the additional pay.
 #760488  by UPRR engineer

I'm with ya there also there buddy, it is grim to think about it.