Railroad Forums 

• Long Train

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#383073  by Chris_S68

One time we grabbed the wrong power and took (I think) 11 5-packs to the NS with two GP7s. Took us an hour or so to get up the hill going into the yard. Drove their people nuts. They were gonna give us a shove, but our hogger got us there!

Chris

#383420  by GN 599

They gave my buddy that works for the UP out of Roseville two tunnel motors and about 10000 feet of train going to Oakland one day not too long ago. The first time he went to set the air they got a dynamiter... and oh yeah it plugged things up big time. :P

#383442  by scharnhorst

GN 599 wrote:They gave my buddy that works for the UP out of Roseville two tunnel motors and about 10000 feet of train going to Oakland one day not too long ago. The first time he went to set the air they got a dynamiter... and oh yeah it plugged things up big time. :P
Did UP ever keep them Souther Pacific Compresser cars that were used to keep the air charged up in the trains when in the mountains or are they long sents retired??

#383613  by GN 599

I believe they were cut up in Eugene or Portland by the SP. I know they used them close to where I live on the Modoc line but quietly disappeared from the scene. I think they were gone quite a while ago. Thats one of the nice thing about running DP (or helpers if you are fortunate) is having that extra air compressor back there to pump the trainline beck up, especially in winter. :wink:

#383676  by scharnhorst

I wonder why most of these western roads don't run cabless Slave or B units like they used to. BC Rail used to use them befor the CN buy out. As I would suspect BN did the same with the the Cabless GE U or B units that they sold a few years ago?

#385518  by gp9rm4108

CN has some of those compressor cars that they use. They used em out here on the praries. No need for DPU out here ... but with the long trains the cars are a good investment.