Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive: operator present in push-pull mode or in a set?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1200023  by SouthernRailway

Perhaps a dumb question, but:

When a locomotive is on the rear of a passenger train in push-pull mode, does a person have to be inside? I see Metro-North trains in push-pull mode with the locomotive at the rear, but they go by too fast for me to tell if someone is inside.

Similarly, if a passenger or freight train has multiple locomotives, does each have to have someone inside?

I assume that in both cases, a person doesn't have to be inside the locomotive for it to work, and multi-locomotive trains don't have people inside all of the locomotives. But maybe there is a policy of having a person inside the locomotive when a train is running with the locomotive at the rear, in push-pull mode?

Thanks.
 #1201605  by Engineer Spike

Locomotives have multiple unit control.27 pin jumper cables run between them. A push-pull train has the jumper running through the entire train. Some freight trains use locomotives in .multiple locations throughout the train. These are controlled via radio. If the electro-pneumatic brake gets fully implemented, the remote signal will be in its cables.This will be better because the radio sometimes looses communication.