Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive Headlight Range of Vision

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#132662  by Bert White

I got to thinking about locomotive headlight illumination and the typical range-of-vision when operating at night. Although the headlights and ditch lights are quite visible when observing an approaching train (i.e., motorist's perspective), the train crew's perspective is obviously quite different.

I've found the FRA regs on locomotive headlights and auxiliary lights, but they refer to 200,000 candela and having the headlights aimed for a focal point 800 feet in front of the locomotive.

When operating during the night time, say under clear skies, how many feet ahead of the train can train crews typically see?

I know there are two different types of headlights used on road locomotives (200W 30V and 350W 75V) and that locomotive are equipped with two headlights on either end.

I'm guessing that a 1/4 to 1/2 mile would be about the night time sighting distance provided in front of the locomotive as provided by the headlights and ditch lights?

What would the sighting distance be on a reflectorized switch target in front of the train and against an otherwise dark background?

Thoughts? Comments?

.../Bert
Last edited by Bert White on Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#132680  by DutchRailnut

the 800 feet is about range of vision during night hours, reflectorized stuff about double that lenght.

#132730  by slchub

Thats about right, 800-1000 feet. Of course several other factors as well, new bulb vs. old one, amount of grime and bugs on the lens, full moon vs. no moon. Then you have to love curves as well, as your unit is pulling around, your lights are illuminating the field or hill instead of the tracks.