• Locomotive fire (MEC 382) in Monmouth 12-20-2014

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

Will have to wait and see. With recent trends, I doubt anything is done forever. Look at 500 and 513. Shipped off to Paducah for a complete rebuild. No doubt its down for a while, but we'll see about its long term future.

Thanks for the pictures, and the correction on 518 and company.
  by NHV 669

Seems weird. I happen to watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48_Im9AT6To while looking for new CMQ footage, a few days later it's up in smoke. Is the story in the YT comments true? Is this unit an NS replacement for a PAR loco they wrecked while paying off HPH?
  by MEC407

Yes. MEC 375 was wrecked in Momence, IL. NS replaced it with their #1386 which became MEC 382.
  by Mikejf

Damage may not appear bad from the outside, but the wiring has got to be toast. It would take some time to replace what ever has melted, and if it was hot enough, probably the generator as well, and what ever other damage may have happened.
  by Mikejf

Just heard the railroad now considers it a total loss. I don't know if that means it will sit in the dead line for years being plucked for parts until disposal, or if by saying this they can invest money into it to rebuild it.
  by Slushbucket

MEC407 wrote:Crap. I hope the damage wasn't too severe. 382 is one of my favorites.

[/railfanmode]
Same here. I would have thought that since it came from NS only recently that it would have outlasted PAR's other GP40s!
  by bml54

its 3 locos deep on the Waterville dead line it has no bell,lights,handrails,horn,cab interior, and batteries and the frame is bent.
  by MEC407

Good question. Possibly the side sill is bent but that certainly doesn't mean the frame is bent.
  by KSmitty

That would have to be one HOT fire to soften the frame enought to bend. Given its relatively short time to control, it seems unlikely.

If the frame isnt toast, I'd put money on it coming back. If 513 and 500 can make a GMTX sponsored return, anything can.
  by MEC407

I could understand the side sill getting a little warped in the area near the electrical boxes. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the frame though.