Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive Engineer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1297880  by slchub

Focus on doing YOUR job and keep your nose clean. Don't worry or fret about the books. You'll cover all of that if selected in Wilmington.

Apply once an engineer job is posted. If you have the ability to work out of a different crew base other than the Zone you are currently in than do it. As you know seniority is everything.
 #1310865  by paxconductor

Thank you for the advice schlub. I applied for a few engineer positions in multiple cities, but really hoping for DC. In the meantime, I will keep my focus on passengers and OBS and do the job to the extreme best of my abilities.
 #1386922  by paxconductor

Hello again everyone! I just wanted to say that I was hired as a locomotive engineer back in January of this year, and currently operating as a student engineer, having to come up through the ranks as an Assistant Conductor and Conductor. The posts on here have all been helpful, and I thank everyone for their knowledge and wisdom. I would like to also add a bit of knowledge, which isn't much, for anyone wanting to move up in the ranks. First and foremost, as was stated to me in an earlier post by slchub, KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN!!!! This point can not be stressed enough. Also, keep your head in your books, and always, always, always, STAY HUMBLE!!! I have been with Amtrak for a little over two years, I love my career, but it's not ever to be taken lightly. You must remember that you have hundreds of people who depend on you to know what you are doing, and to be safe. I enjoy every minute of it, but it's also mentally exhausting. As a conductor, you never appreciate how stressful an engineer has it, until you make a head end trip and see what all they go through... Idiot trespassers, cars and trucks trying to beat the train because heaven forbid if they have to wait three minutes for a 9-car train, etc. Always ask questions, no matter how dumb or stupid YOU think it may be. That "DUMB" question could very well prevent you from overrunning limits of authority or worse. Although I still have a ways to go before I am marked up to a full time engineer, I hope to have a prosperous career with Amtrak for the next 30 years. Also, and this is extremely important, never, ever, ever, get caught up in work politics, gossip, or any other type of negativity that comes along with it. I hear a lot of it, and I either walk away or focus on something else. You have to realize that, even though you are in a profession, you are still working with individuals with a high schoolers mentality and level of maturity. Keep your business as it is...YOUR BUSINESS! Other than that, it's a great gig and I love what I do. Good luck to you all, and as always.... BE SAFE!!

Guess I better change my username...lol