Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive Engineer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1260232  by seaned

Any news on the recent Engineer trainee post for NYC???
 #1260342  by slchub

If you are 100% with your current carrier and are hired on with Amtrak you will get full rate of pay. However, during training/qualifying you will not be paid overtime, only straight hourly. You'll also retain your vacation allowance based upon years of service with the RRB.
 #1260347  by seaned

Neophyte wrote:I applied for the same position so, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed. I don't have any railroad experience, or any in transportation for that matter. But, I do have a CDL will all endorsements and hopefully that will help. I spent most of my work history in public safety so, I don't know how Amtrak, or others rails would view this.

Hey Neophyte..have you heard anything??? I heard emails started going out.
 #1264681  by Thunder

Good luck! I have been waiting on them to figure it out here for a few years. Oh well I like commuters.....really I do ;)
 #1264793  by mvb119

seaned wrote: Hey Neophyte..have you heard anything??? I heard emails started going out.
Interviews were held the other week. They are supposed to be hiring again in a few months if you never heard anything.
 #1264855  by seaned

I ran into an old co worker. He had applied to the same bulletin as I. He has a Class 1 Engineer cert. He was invited to an open house a few weeks ago. He had taken a test. I'm assuming it was the Hogan test. He said he was told he didn't pass. But that he can retake it in 90 days. My question is, if he takes the test again and answers it different. Wouldn't they compare the two tests? He told me he thinks his answers made him look like he was to strong of a candidate. For instance, there was a question about being a leader or a follower. He answered leader. No sure what to make of that. He stated he answered the test as honest as possible. I had no answer for him. Any advice for him and I would be appreciated especially if I get invited to take this test. Thanks all.
 #1264891  by mvb119

Most of the pre-employment tests at Amtrak are pass or fail, they don't give you a particular grade since the computer just scans your answers and tells them you passed or failed. I think I only ever took one test that was a written test years ago. However I don't think answering the question in regards to being a leader would hurt your chances, they want somebody that can think on their own. It has been a while since I've taken the test but I am pretty sure I answered that question the same way and I passed. I doubt they will compare the two tests, the first test more than likely got filed in the circular file. It is all graded by computer anyways. Hope that was of any help. Keep an eye out for openings in June or July.
 #1267374  by Toaster718

chrsjrcj wrote:
Neophyte wrote:I applied for the same position so, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed. I don't have any railroad experience, or any in transportation for that matter. But, I do have a CDL will all endorsements and hopefully that will help. I spent most of my work history in public safety so, I don't know how Amtrak, or others rails would view this.
You should probably apply for assistant passenger conductor trainee first. Amtrak (or any railroad) usually don't hire engineers off the street.

Good luck.
Below is what they look for when it comes to work experience and how they can choose to select a candidate.

"Some work experience demonstrating the ability to maintain alertness, awareness and vigilance, as well as clear, effective verbal communication skills in the performance of work. Satisfactory attendance and safe work record. Prior railroad operating experience and work history that demonstrates ability to adapt to variable and often changing work hours. Preference given to individuals who were trained by a Class 1 carrier or equivalent passenger railroad and are currently certified as Class 1 Train Service Engineers."
 #1267578  by AmTransit

Toaster718 wrote:Preference given to individuals who were trained by a Class 1 carrier or equivalent passenger railroad and are currently certified as Class 1 Train Service Engineers."
There are a bunch of NJ Transit Locomotive Engineers that have already gone over to Amtrak in the last few LETP classes and supposed to be a bunch more going in the next class in September. Been informed by a reliable source at Amtrak that they will be snatched up first for NEC positions before anyone else.
 #1267580  by 8th Notch

Would seem to make most sense from a hiring standpoint to grab a certified class 1 passenger engineer before anyone else. Is njt that bad that all of these guys are jumping ship? I thought I was one of the only crazy ones that was considering on making the jump from commuter to the big A.
 #1268084  by tacoslocos

Its been a while since I been on here but I was hired "off the street" and will say that it is definitely possible. Being an Amtrak Engineer is a great gig and I've been doing it for about 2 years now. Amtrak is hourly pay and the pay while training is significantly lower...essentially a little more than half of top out pay which has already been discussed. After training and "marking up", you'll be on a step range from 75 percent to 100 percent, 5 percent annually. This job is really something. It is definitely the most difficult thing I've ever done. After classroom in Wilmington, then on to the training program, and then finally marking up. It takes a lot out of you. While in training, it's not like just going to work and coming home and your done. You have to study, study, study your routes and know them inside out and also study, study, study your rules and such as well. And guess when thats done. On your own time at home! You have got to know this stuff because honestly, in my experience, as the Engineer it is all on you. You don't have anyone in the loco with you and when things get hairy it is all on you! The dispatcher calls and wants to know anything, your location or issue a mandatory or track authority you have to know what's up. Special moves, setouts, pickups, maintenance issues...they all have RULES associated with them that you have to know. Things happen and often times your by yourself. A lot of brand newly hired conductors and most, not all, but most trainmen don't know how to copy a mandatory and when things happen they often magically don't hear anything. You'll find that with a lot of old heads as well. Not all of them. But in my experience...a lot of them. It's a huge responsibility. And our brothers and sisters do get fired. I currently work the extraboard and where I am presently we typically collect guarantee. But that changes all the time and we can turn and burn too. Also, yes you do typically know if you will be working or not because you will learn what trains go out at what time and who's working them and any vacation or training going on. You usually know where the holes are that need to be filled. If there aren't any holes, stay marked up and collect guarantee. I gotta say that's the best part about the job, but I won't talk alot about that because there are those that don't like to hear such things. You know taxpayer dollars and all. But while at work it can be mentally exhausting. You have to remain focused, focused, focused because if you don't then you wind up like the Metro North Engineer in New York that almost threw his entire train into Hudson. It's weird as soon as I heard the train failed to slow for that curve 70 to a 30 or something like that...my immediate thought...Hoghead lost focus...really, honestly I was thinking he simply fell asleep. Not like passed out, drooling but you know what I mean. By the way, lots of good advice on here and very knowledgeable people. Any questions and I'll help if I can. I'm still new and have a lot more to learn out here but I am enjoying the ride. One thing though, I do hate hearing all the rumors with Amtrak going out of business and fighting for state contracts and all that other stuff. I have to admit as an employee I feel stable enough...but there always seems to be a looming "what if" 5 years down the line. Just being honest.
 #1268277  by AmTransit

8th Notch wrote:Would seem to make most sense from a hiring standpoint to grab a certified class 1 passenger engineer before anyone else. Is njt that bad that all of these guys are jumping ship? I thought I was one of the only crazy ones that was considering on making the jump from commuter to the big A.
I don't think it's that bad here at NJT but I guess others think the grass is greener at Amtrak...so far everyone that has left here for Amtrak has been above me in seniority so I can't complain...lol
 #1271419  by KV1guy

No offense, but you have to be an idiot to not pass the Hogan test. The Hogan test has nothing to do with personality. Its tests for consistency in your answers by asking the same question over and over again. Basically, it determines your ability to tell the truth consistently. You fail it, its because your basically lying to them. Btw, my wife stayed with me in my hotel, as well as my daughter at the end of graduation, had no issues from Amtrak. I was drunk prob twice a week there, prac the whole class even got blitzed the night before Mech mid term, everyone passed it. As far as the family thing goes, maybe some new policy is in effect I dont know of....I think what they wanted was no family coming and staying the whole time you are there.
 #1280686  by Stephen B. Carey

tacoslocos wrote:Its been a while since I been on here but I was hired "off the street" and will say that it is definitely possible. Being an Amtrak Engineer is a great gig and I've been doing it for about 2 years now.

Good to know that Amtrak hires engineers "off the street" I have been applying but really have no hope of hearing anything. Would a Conductor Trainee job have better odds? I live in the Northeast Corridor Area and that is where I am applying.
 #1297364  by paxconductor

Good day all,
I have hired on with Amtrak as an Assistant Conductor, and have a desire to pursue a career as an engineer in a couple years after I go through Conductor promotion and gained experience. I'm just looking for anyone to who is willing to offer suggestions as to what to study, and what to keep focus on. I read over my AMT-3, GCOR, timetables, and SSI's. I study my signals everyday to the point where I can write a song about it. I'm at a loss because I love working with the passengers, so any advice would be appreciated and thank you.