Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive Engineer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1257702  by seaned

Great stuff all. I do not currently hold a class 1 Engineer license, but I did hold a class 1 license at one time for a psgr RR in the north east. I resigned from that position a few years back to pursue another career. I'm hoping to get back into the seat. I hope my experience gives me some sort of an advantage.
 #1257735  by mvb119

Best of luck to you. I bet they'll be interested if you mention that.
 #1257772  by AmTransit

Yes especially if the previous passenger RR in the Northeast you worked for was NJ Transit. BTW I've heard there are a few Engineers here at NJT looking to jump ship and go to Amtrak. If they did in fact apply they would most likely get preference over other external applicants.
 #1257859  by seaned

mvb119 wrote:Best of luck to you. I bet they'll be interested if you mention that.

Thanks..
 #1257861  by seaned

AmTransit wrote:Yes especially if the previous passenger RR in the Northeast you worked for was NJ Transit. BTW I've heard there are a few Engineers here at NJT looking to jump ship and go to Amtrak. If they did in fact apply they would most likely get preference over other external applicants.
I was an Engineer with the LIRR. Hopefully that gives me the same advantage as NJT.
Last edited by seaned on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1257892  by slchub

I know of three off-corridor engineers who were picked up by Amtrak off the street without experience. One being a commercial pilot.

It can be done but it would be a very tough road to travel given the unique nature of the job Prior experience as a conductor/brakeman is most helpful as you know the ins and the outs of the railroad.

Good luck.
 #1257915  by Neophyte

I think the term "off the street" is a figurative term meaning no "relative" experience. It doesn't seem necessary to have specific railroad experience as there only so many jobs per state. My only contention is that large railroad companies conduct preliminary testing which I thought were open competitive. By this I mean, you can pass provided you meet the proficiency standards without prior knowledge or experience. The generalized standard then would determine one's competency to complete the training in full. But it's seems as if companies won't even consider you unless you've previously worked in transportation etc. I'm just looking for an opportunity to embark on a new career with a R/R company willing to train and develop a new workforce.
 #1257930  by gp80mac

Neophyte wrote: But it's seems as if companies won't even consider you unless you've previously worked in transportation etc. I'm just looking for an opportunity to embark on a new career with a R/R company willing to train and develop a new workforce.
Training engineers is expensive. And the railroad lifestyle is one that many can't (or won't) hack. Therefore, railroads don't want to spend a fortune training people that are just going to quit since they don't like being on-call or can't stand the safety culture, management structure, instability of jobs, etc. Previous RR employees (even if they aren't engineers) already have experienced the life. They know what to expect.
 #1257934  by seaned

gp80mac wrote:
Neophyte wrote: But it's seems as if companies won't even consider you unless you've previously worked in transportation etc. I'm just looking for an opportunity to embark on a new career with a R/R company willing to train and develop a new workforce.
Training engineers is expensive. And the railroad lifestyle is one that many can't (or won't) hack. Therefore, railroads don't want to spend a fortune training people that are just going to quit since they don't like being on-call or can't stand the safety culture, management structure, instability of jobs, etc. Previous RR employees (even if they aren't engineers) already have experienced the life. They know what to expect.
I concur.
 #1258165  by seaned

Just went on Amtraks career website. The NYC Passenger Engineer Trainee posting is gone. So I'm guessing the application process is moving forward. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping to get a call. Good luck to all that applied!!!
 #1258169  by mvb119

Yes the job closed on March 16th for external applicants and mid February for internal. Now they will begin processing everything.
 #1258808  by seaned

Hey guys..I have another question. The pay for Locomotive Engineer. Is it the same across the board where ever you work? Or does the the pay scale differ? Also what is top pay and is there a pay scale or do you go straight to top pay upon completion of the training program? Thanks
 #1258847  by slchub

The wages are based upon a union contract. You'll be paid the same progressive rate (you'll start at 75% of the full rate until you have been on the property for 5 years) no matter where you are based. You'll make more money based upon overtime than the minimum weekly guarantee of 40 hours a week (extra-board or regular job).

We are not supposed to provide salary details on RR.net. Just figure the top rate at this time is about 20 X 2 per hour. Amtrak pay is based upon an hourly rate, not trip/mileage rate as the many of the freight carriers have gone back to.
 #1259080  by seaned

slchub wrote:The wages are based upon a union contract. You'll be paid the same progressive rate (you'll start at 75% of the full rate until you have been on the property for 5 years) no matter where you are based. You'll make more money based upon overtime than the minimum weekly guarantee of 40 hours a week (extra-board or regular job).

We are not supposed to provide salary details on RR.net. Just figure the top rate at this time is about 20 X 2 per hour. Amtrak pay is based upon an hourly rate, not trip/mileage rate as the many of the freight carriers have gone back to.

Good stuff...thanks
 #1259225  by AmTransit

slchub wrote:The wages are based upon a union contract. You'll be paid the same progressive rate (you'll start at 75% of the full rate until you have been on the property for 5 years) no matter where you are based. You'll make more money based upon overtime than the minimum weekly guarantee of 40 hours a week (extra-board or regular job).

Slchub, If you already have a Locomotive Engineer certificate from a Class-I and have held it for 5 years or more does Amtrak still start you at 100% full rate during the training phase or has that been changed in the most recent contract?