Railroad Forums 

• Locking of CNY RR leasing Tier thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#85052  by JBlaisdell

Anyone else feel the posts toward the end of the thread were relavant? It started with news of NS leasing the line to a shortline and a discussion of why (modernn economics) that led to a historical review. I for one learned a few things and expanded my views, like the E-L being a great through line because it skirts the choke points.

Otto, please do not lock threads simplybecause the last few posts may seem far removed from the first. When read together, they form a cohesive discussion about a great line with a checkered past and uncertain future.

It has been my experience that when a topic has been exhausted, it will die out on its own.

(I am all for locking if things get to name-calling or degenerate into politics or such.)

#85060  by charlie6017

I agree with you. Just because the topic drifted a bit, I thought the discussion was still insightful and personally, I wanted to hear what others said. The "Tier" was and still is "my favorite line" and I like to hear as much information as I can. Otto, please reconsider..........

#85064  by DutchRailnut

Sorry I agree with Otto, the tread took a turn for past and erie rr. those discussions belong here:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=85
The discussion was about the lease of CofNY and current southern tier.

#85072  by nydepot

The forum says all railroad topics pertaining to NYS, past and present. So, talking about the Erie in NYS is COMPLETELY relevant to this forum. You shouldn't have to go to the Erie forum.

Anyone who ever writes an article on this new railroad venture will surely include historical info on the Tier. Why can't it be discussed here? The history of the Tier plays completely into the current status of railroad. You think an editor tells an author who mentions Penn Central in their Conrail book that they can't and that they need to write another book on the Penn Central?

The forums are searchable so someone can search for "Erie" and find threads across multiple forums.

A moderator changed my thread name from "LV Rochester Branch" to "LV Hemlock Branch". My correctly-titled thread (according to the LV TT in my hand) was changed to an incorrect name. It was changed to a name people are more comfortable with, I guess. It should have been left as is so that people can learn the correct name as it pertained to a certain timeperiod. The first part of the thread even answered this naming issue because someone brought it up.

I think the moderators should be more concerned with flame-wars, name calling, and obvious political/religous-baiting and let threads run their course. Most threads here die fairly quickly.

Charles

#85082  by Otto Vondrak

The topic of the thread was the CNYK lease of the Tier, and I felt it drifted wayyy too far off into Erie history. Granted, there is not a lot to talk about regarding the CNYK lease because it's a relatively new event, and there is a lot more to talk about leading up to that event. I'm very sorry that there are some dissenting opinions about what the dicussion should be about. Yes, the New York State forum is for the discussion of topics past and present, but the topic at hand was very specific- an event from 2004/2005.

I suggested earlier that you could start a new thread regarding discussion of the Southern Tier before NS control... which I think would make it easier to follow along with. Does a new topic have to be started for every new idea that comes up? No. Should topics remain fairly close to the original topic? Yes. It just makes the discussion easier to follow. Most discussions here stay on topic, so it's not a big deal. I asked for the topic to remain to the original, but was ignored, so the second time, I locked it.

Please feel free to continue your discussion of the Southern Tier in a new thread.

-otto-

PS - Charles- sorry about the LV thread name change- I thought I was making a correction, and I didnt read carefully enough. Next time just drop a line to me and let me know.

CNY

#85131  by RS-3

So did CNY/NYSW start operations December 31? If so are there any operational changes? Are there any new NYSW trains running out of Bingo? Did the times of the Bingo-NY trains change at all? (Assuming this is not off topic.)

RS

#85140  by O-6-O

Otto; You changed my Thruway title also to NYW Thruway what ever that
means. Maybe you should lighten up a bit,uh.

STEAM ON
/--OOO-;-oo-oo-

#85173  by Otto Vondrak

Ya got me, 0-6-0! Sorry for the typo, I never noticed it. You know, if you ever see something like that, you can drop me a note anytime and I'll fix it.

-otto-

#85285  by nessman

Otto Vondrak wrote:The topic of the thread was the CNYK lease of the Tier, and I felt it drifted wayyy too far off into Erie history.
Sorry Otto, but you do over-moderate here. Just because something steers off course doesn't mean it'll stay there forever. There's a LOT of knowledge out there and essentially shushing people because you feel that the dialog is no longer relevant to the original posting is preventing the sharing of said knowledge. In short - relax and don't be so quick to jump in and moderate. Much of the time, threads tend to go back on course. Sometimes you need to stray off the path a bit to find something relevant or interesting to the original topic at hand.

I own several lists on Yahoo Groups and I pretty much give people free reign as long as things don't turn into flame wars or are totally off topic and have no relevance to the forum (not the thread).

#85387  by Otto Vondrak

What can I say, Les? This isn't a Yahoo list. I'd be rather surprised if everyone agreed with me all the time. I dont expect people to either. But, this site is not like a Yahoo group.

Besides, I think we've all spent more time discussing why I'm wrong instead of discussing the Erie Southern Tier like we wanted? Why hasn't anyone started that new thread we talked about?

-otto-

#85431  by Mr Lehigh

I agree with Les, but I have complained about this in the past.

The problem with requiring that you start a new thread is that you kill the dynamics of a converstation. If you really want to do that, maybe you should export the messages to a new thread so that the substance of the conversation is still there, but under a new thread. Locking a thread just kills the conversation. It's very hard and awkward to restart a conversation that's been terminated. Locking threads kill topics and forums.

#85452  by nessman

Otto Vondrak wrote:Besides, I think we've all spent more time discussing why I'm wrong instead of discussing the Erie Southern Tier like we wanted?
Uh... 'cause maybe you hit a raw nerve in a lot of people? By locking a thread because it deviated off course just slightly, you basically are telling everyone to shut up.
Why hasn't anyone started that new thread we talked about?
Ever been sent to your room by your father for talking too much? Once you're in your room you don't feel much like talking any more because you no longer have an audience.

I realize this isn't a Yahoo Group list, but by shutting down topics and having a very low tolerance for thread deviation kinda paints you as a control freak. It's bad enough that you change the wording in subjects and whatnot. You need to loosen up a bit and let people have a little bit of fun here.

Do you really want people to stop coming here - which will affect your banner ad revenue?

#85470  by clearblock

I agree with Otto.

Keeping "on topic" in a thread is a matter of common sense and courtesy.
It is simple to start a new thread when a related but "OT" topic comes up.
Many users do not have the time or desire to read every message on the forum. If I am interested in current developments about the CNY, I don't want to have to look through a lot of historical comments. If I am intersted in the history of the Erie I may not bother to read a thread about the CNY so I miss out on the comments about the Erie and I may have valuable info to share with those who posted.

Otto was not saying the historical material did not belong on this forum, only that it belonged in a new topic.

Having a proactive moderator like Otto is a good thing but it is a thankless job. You can't please everyone but it is better than a the chaos of an unmoderated forum.

#85610  by J.D. White

nessman, Damn! What's got into you lately?! I've always thought of you as well mannered, but to snip at Otto (or anyone) like this shows you must be very upset. This just isn't "you". Have you contributed in threads here before and had them locked?

#85669  by thannon

I've tried to ignore this thread, but it hasn't worked :(

Otto is a bit quick in my opinon to lockdown a thread- but then that is his decision to make. He put the steel to the Tier thread with his 'keep to the theme' post; but was gracious enough to unlock it for a bit.

Then he shut it down after it rambled on. He tried and was on the generous side on this one, and I find no fault in it.

I think nessman is just worried like I am- this forum is a bit on the dead side.

Tom H>