Railroad Forums 

• Loading facility near Chatsworth

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#305051  by German

Another thread about Chatsworth reminded me of something I've always wondered about. There is a loading facility on Savoy Blvd., which I believe was the site of the 1966 CNJ derailment mentioned and photographed in The Trail of the Blue Comet. The turnout, siding and remains of the structure are still there. Does anyone know exactly what product this facility handled?

#305773  by CJPat

Just a guess, but since Chatsworth was/is a major center for cranberry cultivation/consolidation......

#305918  by German

Cranberries were my first guess as well, but I was told by someone familiar with it that that was not the case (although you'd think that if they knew what it was not used for, they'd know what it was used for).