Railroad Forums 

• Litchfield tunnel and East Canaan arches

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#118439  by trainsinmaine

A posting I've also made in the New Haven forum:

I'm planning to be in western Conn. next week and would like to visit the town of Litchfield, having heard a lot about the place but never having gone there. Is the old Shepaug RR tunnel there walkable? How does one get to it?

Also: I know roughly where the East Canaan stone arch bridges are on the old CNE RoW; I'd like to see them, too, but what sort of hoops would I have to jump through to do it? I understand they're on private property.
 #118532  by Tom Curtin

1. First, the Shepaug tunnel is nowhere near the town of Litchfield so don't go there!!!

Go to the village of Washington Depot (at junction of CT Rtes. 47 and 109), and take the road that runs south from town along the Shepaug River. After a couple of miles the road will cross the river and turn to a dirt road. It's not a bad dirt road --- you don't need an off road vehicle.

Continue about another mile, maybe a bit more, and you will see the old RR ROW alongside you, on your left, and I believe there is a sign pointing to where you can walk to the tunnel.

This is a reservation maintained by some foundation and it is legal to walk there. It is claimed to be safe to walk through the tunnel, but personally I wouldn't walk through any tunnel.

2. RE the East Canaan arch: yes it's on private property. That said, I don't know how tolerant the owner is to RR history buffs who want to see this structure.

Anyway, it crosses the Whiting River about 3/4 mile north of where RT US 44 crosses the Whiting River in East Canaan.