Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1564361  by Pensyfan19

I was on the internet today and decided to research some history regarding the LIRR, specifically for locating remnants of former stations. As I found information for one of them (specifically South Farmingdale), I came across a very interesting photo of a Wigwag Railroad Crossing, which is rarely if at all seen on the east coast. This wig wag was located on Broad Hollow Road, which has since been replaced by an overpass sometime ago, and I am curious if there were any other known Wigwags on the LIRR system.

https://arrts-arrchives.com/cextrr.html

#1564381  by Pensyfan19

I am aware that this rare crossing used to be in South Farmingdale, which is where I found the page as I was researching abandoned LIRR stations. Does anyone know of there were any other wigwags on the LIRR system at any time in the railroad's almost 200 year existence?
 #1565966  by Pensyfan19

After doing further research on the topic, I have stumbled upon another intersection of where the wigwag used to be along the LIRR. Based on the photo on page 15 in this document, I assume that this crossing was likely around between 1910 and 1929. Does anyone know where this crossing was located? Hopefully the large building in the background as well as the triple tracks and third rail on the far right could hint at where it was. My guess would be the Babylon Branch.
 #1566091  by nyandw

Pensyfan19 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:49 pm After doing further research on the topic, I have stumbled upon another intersection of where the wigwag used to be along the LIRR. Based on the photo on page 15 in this document, I assume that this crossing was likely around between 1910 and 1929. Does anyone know where this crossing was located? Hopefully the large building in the background as well as the triple tracks and third rail on the far right could hint at where it was. My guess would be the Babylon Branch.Image
This photo appears to be a "mock-up"?
 #1566155  by Pensyfan19

I´m not sure if it´s a mock up from the early 20th century since the captain states that the wig wags are in operation on the LIRR.