Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1434880  by n2cbo

I remember many years ago seeing LIRR MUs at The St. George Ferry terminal. My question is that I thought that LIRR cars were wider than NYCT B division cars, so how did they get them to fit?
 #1441137  by joesirr

Was that in the early 70s? They were test trains. If I remember right they couldn't fit into some stations. I just started working there December '71. We had those old MUs then got R44s.
 #1441158  by n2cbo

joesirr wrote:Was that in the early 70s? They were test trains. If I remember right they couldn't fit into some stations. I just started working there December '71. We had those old MUs then got R44s.
Yes, I believe it was around that time. I remember seeing them at the St. George Ferry Terminal.
 #1451442  by irtredbirdr33

Here is some information

Tuscarora Almanac - June 15, 1972 - The Book of First Runs

Staten Island, New York
Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority

Three Long Island Railroad MP-72's begin service today on the Staten Island Railway.
The consist is 2517, 2646 and 2505. Eventually they will be joined by two others 2509 and 2513.

Source: New York Division Bulletin /June 1972

The first three cars began testing on May 21, 1972, the other two cars arrived later. They ran as one three car train and one two car train. They were sent over to Staten Island to protect the service until all of the ME-2's (R-44) arrived which was in December of 1973. The LIRR cars were returned around that time.
I understand that the five LIRR cars were class MP-72. The Staten Island Railway cars were all ten feet wide, the same as the BMT and the LIRR.

Larry, RedbirdR33
 #1451486  by R36 Combine Coach

irtredbirdr33 wrote:[The first three cars began testing on May 21, 1972, the other two cars arrived later. They ran as one three car train and one two car train. They were sent over to Staten Island to protect the service until all of the ME-2's (R-44) arrived which was in December of 1973. The LIRR cars were returned around that time.
The final R44s were delivered from St. Louis on 4/23/73. First SIRT R44s were delivered January 1973, accepted for service 2/28/73.