Railroad Forums 

• LIRR - MNRR Combo Ticketing

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1617660  by Jeff Smith

Through ticketing is now available on the app. Example of pricing: Springdale on the New Canaan branch to Port Washington is $19.50 . It’s based on the first leg (Springdale- GCT) at off-peak of $11.50 plus $8 for the “transfer” leg. Tickets must be used SAME DAY (4am in railroad timetable).

Observation: the price from Springdale to ANYWHERE on LIRR is $19.50 the SAME price. So if I fancy a trip to Montauk that’s a sweet discount!

#1617743  by CTG

It is definitely a nice deal. A few observations...

The $8 to anywhere on the second railroad applies even during peak periods.

When you buy the ticket, no matter what station you put the ticket first shows "Any LIRR Station" So in your example, if you buy a Springdale to Port Washington ticket it shows up on your phone as "Springdale to Any LIRR Station"

Once you activate the ticket it changes your destination to "Grand Central" and displays the word "combo" in a rectangle. This was confusing to the conductor of the LIRR train that I boarded at Grand Central, as he initially thought I had gotten on the wrong train

You have to share your location in order to be able to buy a Combo Ticket. To buy a ticket that starts in MNR territory, you must be in MNR territory (and presumably vice versa from a trip starting with the LIRR) You cannot buy a Combo Ticket if you're in Manhattan
 #1617760  by MACTRAXX

JS and Everyone: Interesting news about LIRR and MNCR offering "Combo" E-tickets to ride both systems.
Will the equivalent be sold at TVMs and/or Ticket Offices or only available through the MTA app?

I noticed that the valid period is only on the same day of purchase - City and Atlantic Tickets are only good
for one day specified similar as example until 4 AM next day. Sharing actual location for purchase intrigues
me - does the app actually track the purchaser or is that submission voluntary?

When the current LIRR and MNCR TVM/TOM system was introduced back in 2001-2002 on one of the touch
screen pages there was a "button" link that allowed access to purchase MNCR tickets from a LIRR machine
and LIRR tickets from a MNCR machine. That capability was disabled and withdrawn. This most likely was
an early added option with the anticipation that East Side Access would be completed back in the 2000s...

With this new LIRR/MNCR ticket option my thought is "use it or lose it"...MACTRAXX
 #1617790  by CTG

MACTRAXX -- the ticket can be purchased through the app. You must share your location in order to purchase a ticket.

Validity is until 4am the next day, but once you activate your ticket the time limit becomes shorter. I went from Stamford to Jamaica last week. Once I activated the ticket, it was only good for just under 4 hours

I pit a bit more about the combo ticket experience in the post just before yours
 #1617844  by R36 Combine Coach

I'm sure ConnDOT had to approve tariff changes (as with all fare matters on the New Haven Line) for the joint through fare. This should be in public record.
 #1618058  by GirlOnTheTrain

The reason why the app requires you to share your location is because they will not allow you to buy a combo ticket in Manhattan. TVMs at Grand Central and 125 will not sell them either.
 #1618128  by Head-end View

So do I understand correctly that you can buy a combo ticket ONLY using the app, NOT from a TVM or ticket window. If so that stinks.
 #1618185  by Head-end View

Okay, thanks! Maybe I should have checked MTA's website first. Some posters on here were making it sound like you could only buy it on the app.
 #1620621  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - The LIRR to MNCR Combo One Way fares by LIRR zone are:
Zone 1 - $14.50
Zone 3 - $15.75
Zone 4 - $17.25
Zone 7 - $18.25
Zone 9 - $20.00
Zone 10 - $22.25
Zone 12 - $25.00
Zone 14 - $30.25
Combo Tickets are available at TVMs - Valid only on the day of purchase and good on ANY train.
The $8 MNCR ticket from GCT is basically an ANYWHERE fare valid to ALL MNCR stations:
Hudson Line to Poughkeepsie
Harlem Line to Wassaic
New Haven Line to New Haven, Danbury Branch to Danbury, Waterbury Branch to Waterbury...
...And ANY MNCR station in between...
For a ONE DAY round trip LIRR/MNCR purchase TWO Combo tickets to cover the return fare.

With long daylight hours and pleasant Spring weather take advantage of this recent MTA ticket option -
(as of this post on 4/20)...MACTRAXX
 #1627944  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - This is the LIRR to MNCR Combo One Way fares in effect with the August 20 increase:
Zone 1 - $14.75
Zone 3 - $16.25
Zone 4 - $17.75
Zone 7 - $18.75
Zone 9 - $21.00
Zone 10 - $23.25
Zone 12 - $26.25
Zone 14 - $31.50
All Combo fare regulations remain the same as my last post on April 20th in this topic...

One new 8/20 fare option for City of New York Commuter Rail riders is the new $7 Peak City Ticket...
City Tickets are valid only on the date of sale and must be purchased before boarding...
Weekday Peak hours on the LIRR are 6 to 10 AM westbound and 4 to 8 PM eastbound.
LIRR Zones 1 and 3 (primarily Queens) as far east as Little Neck, Queens Village and Rosedale.
MNCR Zones 1 and 2 (primarily Bronx) as far north as Riverdale and Wakefield (Hudson and Harlem Lines)
MNCR Weekday Peak Hours are 6 to 10 AM southbound; 6 to 9 AM -and- 4 to 8 PM northbound.

I added the new $7 Peak City Ticket here in this fare-oriented topic...MACTRAXX
 #1628009  by shadyjay

Memorial Day 2023 I took advantage of the combo ticket to do a MNR/LIRR circle trip (in conjunction with ConnDOT/SLE and Cross Sound Ferry). I got a combo ticket from New Haven to Montauk. By the time I got on my train at Montauk (after changing at GCM and Jamaica), the ticket had expired, but I told the conductor on the Montauk train and it wasn't an issue.