Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1546604  by MattAmity90

Looked at Edward's photos:

1.) Major construction at Westbury with the station and the progression of the School Street grade crossing elimination.
2.) Obviously the Glen Cove Road bridge replacement.
3.) In Mineola they are doing utility work around Willis Avenue with new wooden poles erected. Those lightweight insulators that they attach the wires to are installed. Both tracks had the "BARRICADE" octagons in between Main and Willis. We all know the grade crossing elimination there will start by the end of the year.
4.) Erector-set steel pole bases have been pounded along the North side of the ROW in between Westbury and Carle Place.
5.) Both elevator shaft frames at Carle Place are officially connected with the pedestrian bridge frame.
6.) It seems that there will be a welcome sign on the pedestrian bridges because they have the station name on the bottom of the pedestrian bridges with the name in the sign font affixed to it.
7.) New Hyde Park Road span is ready any day now, which will be 2-3 weeks as planned. They have attached the walkways to both sides of the bridge, with the original tracks running together, and the third track being separated by that the steel barrier.
 #1546608  by nyandw

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:17 pm At least we have the depot (1910s-1920s "Dutch Gambrel" design typical of LIRR stations).
Aa these are: Bayside
Huntington
Northport
Flowerfield (odd version)
Mineola
Riverhead
Bay Shore
Good Ground (Hampton Bays)
Amagansett
Sag Harbor Courtesy: Dave Keller
 #1546618  by workextra

The old Dutch style depot at Mineola on the north side is supposed to stay.
The period fully enclosed shelter/shed. Built across the main on the south side was removed as it’s right where the new platform will be installed.
Personally I would have liked to see the structure saved, restored, and incorporated into the new platform.
I doubt the new design calls for a new replica to be built as part of it.
Both Mineola and Westbury have historic station buildings that did survive and therefor should be incorporated into the new construction.

To those getting photos, Thank you. Just document locations/dates/Times for the future in the file name.
 #1546632  by newkirk

Farm fresh photos from today
Attachments:
Photo: Bill Mangahas
6) Mineola 6-28-20.JPG (852.79 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
5) Mineola 6-28-20.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1535 times
13) Mineola 6-28-20.JPG (781.23 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
 #1546633  by newkirk

The new Glen Cove Rd. bridge now in place.
Attachments:
1) Glen Cove Rd 6-28-20.JPG (688.15 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
2) Glen Cove Rd 6-28-20.JPG (742.56 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
 #1546635  by R36 Combine Coach

workextra wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:11 am Both Mineola and Westbury have historic station buildings that did survive and therefor should be
incorporated into the new construction.
Through the elevated station at Westbury dates to circa 1914, it has been heavily modified and rebuilt.
 #1546636  by Pensyfan19

I say the red overpass is the next thing to go at Mineola. I also heard a passenger (NOT an official worker) suggest that the LIRR should (again, the LIRR is not doing this but this was a recommendation) have an island platform at Mineola for easier access to nearby trains. Any thoughts on that idea? It looks possible and Mineola is already a busy enough station.
 #1546646  by newkirk

Pensyfan19 wrote:I say the red overpass is the next thing to go at Mineola. I also heard a passenger (NOT an official worker) suggest that the LIRR should (again, the LIRR is not doing this but this was a recommendation) have an island platform at Mineola for easier access to nearby trains. Any thoughts on that idea? It looks possible and Mineola is already a busy enough station.
Yes, the red overpass will be a goner. As far as a center platform, there must be some reason why it's not in the grand plan.
 #1546655  by Head-end View

I agree that an island platform would provide much better utility. The LIRR will come to regret not having done that. Situations will develop where trains on the middle track would benefit from platform access.

And my thanks to Newkirk for the great photos.
 #1546657  by workextra

I was told that the reason for omitting the island platform was due to their needing to take real estate on the south side.

I too support the island platform idea, and feel they dropped the ball there. However, there is supposedly enough room on the north side to install a pocket train and run some oyster bays as scoot service, hope not, but we’ll see I guess.

As for this island platform idea, this platform
Would Likely need to be wide enough To accommodate an elevator and access stairs, also this would create a Delay by requiring doors to be opened on Both sides for every EB using the new main providing they also put a platform on the south side as well.
So I can see how this would result in a land grab, and a potential larger passenger inconvenience.

They may have made the right decision This time, we’ll all find out soon enough-won’t we?
 #1546696  by newkirk

Mineola station - thirty one years ago
Attachments:
July 1989.jpg (936.86 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
 #1547123  by MACTRAXX

BM: Thanks again for posting pictures of Mineola and of the new Glen Cove Road bridge.
The parking garages on either end of Mineola Station are good vantage points.
That night picture from 1989 looking west is a good example.

Everyone: The New Hyde Park Road bridge and road project is scheduled for Saturday and
Sunday July 11-12. LIRR train service will be mostly the same as previous track outages with these service changes noted:

Oyster Bay Branch trains will run between East Williston and Oyster Bay.
Hempstead Branch trains will run half hourly on both days.
Shuttle buses will be provided between Hempstead, Mineola and
East Williston for connecting train services.

NICE Bus N22 and N24 will again cross honor LIRR tickets from Hicksville west to
Mineola and New Hyde Park.

http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/n ... -11-12.htm

There has been noticeable progress on the Third Track Project this past year - NHP Road and Glen Cove Road projects are prime examples...MACTRAXX
 #1547205  by gamer4616

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but this will be the last week of Nassau tower as an operational tower in Mineola. Its operations are being moved to Jamaica and will be referred to as JCC-Nassau.
 #1547299  by newkirk

gamer4616 wrote: I haven't seen it mentioned here, but this will be the last week of Nassau tower as an operational tower in Mineola. Its operations are being moved to Jamaica and will be referred to as JCC-Nassau.
Uh oh.....the end is near for Nassau Tower. :(