Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1588637  by Head-end View

Well for once I actually agree with Photobug56, LOL

But the matter is now resolved. As per today's Newsday, the Village of G.C. has now issued the work permits under threat of being held in Contempt of Court. The work on the bridge will begin. The problem now is how to make up for several months lost time and still complete the project on schedule by the end of the year. My guess is they'll work nights and weekends to make it happen. The Village should love that! LOL
 #1588640  by photobug56

While I am not a fan of lirr construction, overall THIS project seems well managed, and hope that they can finish it on time. I am less confident that we'll see real schedule improvements from it or that ESA will be fully functional this year.
 #1588649  by workextra

Regarding Nassau Blvd. garden city is being openly foolish by not Widing or allowing the winding of the said roadway. The aforementioned roadway is already 4 lanes with a very wide center median. The existing 2 lanes would and should be for southbound traffic and a new span for northbound traffic .
Their contempt and stupidity will cost more in the future.
Having done the proper job this time around, it wouldn’t have increased traffic Any more than it already is.
The real traffic issue is the fact the school and golf course is in the way by Stewart Ave forcing traffic onto cherry valley. But I digress that issue.
Denton now should be 2 lanes for punishment for their foolish decisions. I’d love to see the railroad do that.
 #1588650  by photobug56

I think they should just replace the bridge with fill and close off the street. But they won't. Still, GC and it's high and mighty NIMBY's should be isolated from society.
 #1588691  by workextra

Bug, that would be the most epic and cost effective move LIRR does in modern era.
Fill the road in, make it look as if the bridge never existed. That’s politics.
 #1588707  by Head-end View

Knowing the Village of G.C., they would probably like the Denton Ave. bridge to be one-way, northbound. So you could conveniently drive out of the Village but not be able to drive INTO it. LOL
 #1588818  by frankie

What does Garden City and the Denton Ave underpass have in common? One is narrow and the other is narrow minded!
 #1588834  by photobug56

Which is which? :-)

Speaking of things 3rd Track, our esteemed governor seems to have personally promised to 'deliver' the project this year. Now I assume she does know that this is on Long Island. But she'll deliver it, just like she's going to fix Penn Station by pushing forward Mr. Cuomo's proposed real estate grab.
 #1588881  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - Here is the January 2022 update from 3TC:
https://lirrexpansion.com/2022/01/05/up ... uary-2022/

There are three weekend track outages mentioned for January:
*January 15-16: The Hempstead Branch between Bellerose and Hempstead
Alternate service includes added Main Line trains.
*January 22-23: The Main Line between Floral Park and Hicksville
Alternate services include half-hourly Hempstead Branch trains and connecting bus services west of Hicksville.
Both of these outages are primarily for Queens Interlocking switch replacement/installation work.
*January 29-30: The Main Line between Mineola and Hicksville (for Signal Testing)
There will be trains originating/terminating at Mineola.
A bus "bridge" will connect Mineola, Hicksville and Huntington.
This weekend work is subject to change (weather permitting) and will be revised when necessary.

With the Denton Avenue bridge situation straightened out (at least for now) work should be able to get fully
under way depending on the weather along with the ongoing C-19 problem. If there are any weather issues
expect a major work effort come springtime to at least get through some construction delays and get this
project back on track to be completed once and for all as we begin 2023. Opening ESA and completing the
Third Track Project in December 2022 will be quite a Christmas present for the LIRR and MTA...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1588883  by photobug56

I'm hopeful that 3TC will be done on time. But ESA? Consider TFL Elizabeth Line and Washington Metro Silver line extension. The former is doing heavy testing, and hopes to open soon, a lot later than planned. The latter has not even started testing yet - they are using the new track to store the 7k series cars pulled out of service. And the 'track record' on ESA is pretty miserable, though they did get Ms. Hochul into GCT. But it's not clear, at least to me, that they are even doing any real testing yet, and with all the problems during construction I hope they do a lot of testing. Not just the tracks, etc., but also the station. And so far they've said nothing as to what happens if they have a blackout.
 #1591200  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - Here is the 3TC update for February 2022:
https://lirrexpansion.com/2022/02/01/up ... uary-2022/

There are three upcoming weekend trackwork outages planned:
February 5-6 (postponed from 1/29-30 due to snowstorm) and 19-20-21* between Mineola and Hicksville.
Alternate services include trains every two hours on the Ronkonkoma Branch via the Central Branch
and bus service between Mineola and Huntington (Huntington-Port Jefferson train service runs every
two hours) and Farmingdale to Mineola (local bus). There is hourly train service from Mineola westward.
(*Outage includes President's Day - Monday February 21)

February 12-13 - Main Line between New Hyde Park and Westbury. Alternate service looks to be Ronkonkoma
and Huntington/Port Jefferson trains terminating at Hicksville connecting with the shuttle trains via the Central
Branch Hicksville-Bethpage-Babylon. Enhanced service will be offered on the Babylon Branch and half-hourly
service on the Hempstead Branch. This alternate service is the same as past Floral Park-Hicksville outages.

All three weekend trackwork programs are WEATHER PERMITTING and are subject to change...MACTRAXX
 #1591225  by Head-end View

Recent progress at Westbury Station. The west ends of the new platforms are now open and the temporary plat's at the station's east end have been dismantled. More importantly, the pedestrian underpass under the station building has been re-opened to the public finally eliminating the long inconvenient walk to the Post Ave. underpass to get from one side of the station to the other.

Good to see the project moving along even during the cold winter.
 #1591229  by photobug56

I wish the project people offered somewhere a view showing overall progress. All they put out is 'installing gravel from Street A to Street B' or the like. I'd like to know, in plain English, what's done, what's not done. Only things I know for sure - lots of work at that Garden City bridge left, some substations not done, some track not laid.