Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1586290  by photobug56

They got the court order, and didn't wait long to get moving. Maybe they heard the suggestions (also) that any stations close to GC be closed and figured out that an appeal didn't make sense.
 #1586551  by robertwa

Does anyone know if the roadway under the new 3 track Denton Ave./Tanners Pond Rd. overpass going to be widened to more than the one lane it currently is?
 #1586567  by mkm4

robertwa wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:07 pm Does anyone know if the roadway under the new 3 track Denton Ave./Tanners Pond Rd. overpass going to be widened to more than the one lane it currently is?
https://www.amodernli.com/project/tanne ... placement/
will remain a single-lane thoroughfare. This was a commitment made during the environmental impact study (EIS) phase of the project
 #1586571  by Pensyfan19

mkm4 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:22 pm https://www.amodernli.com/project/tanne ... placement/
will remain a single-lane thoroughfare. This was a commitment made during the environmental impact study (EIS) phase of the project
Apparently this website's newsroom hasn't been updated since June of this year. It doesn't even include the opening of Belmont Station...
 #1586609  by UN Block

And, though Denton was supposed to be closed to traffic this past Monday, as of Wednesday it hadn't, though the new detour signs are all posted around the neighborhood.
 #1587139  by MattAmity90

The downfall of the signals on gantries continues. At Bellerose, the signals are being taken down, with the gantry soon to be razed after only about 13 years being there! Pedestal signals have already been installed and have taken over.

At Westbury, it is getting busy as a beehive. New temporary platforming has been laid and put into service. The new Platform A is having pillars lowered into the ground in a "U" shape. Apparently since the old platform was on an embankment (both were), they built a retaining wall, and filled it with new Earth and concrete (preferably for the elevators). Construction on Platform B is a breeze, and the only remaining section of power lines that haven't been replaced by steel poles are in an area between School Street and the Grand Blvd. bridge.

Mineola has now extended Platform B making it an amalgamation of old platform and temporary to the Mineola Blvd. bridge pillar.
 #1587140  by photobug56

Thanks for the update. I've noticed that the monthly LIRR updates seem to be something approaching boiler plate, with little info on what's actually happening. Kind of like the PR flacks for the project have gotten bored. Plus they no longer show much in the way of photos of completed work.
 #1588057  by robertwa

"...will remain a single-lane thoroughfare. This was a commitment made during the environmental impact study (EIS) phase of the project..."

So, after waiting all these years and spending billions and billions of dollars, they can't add one lane, for less than 50 feet to a dangerous underpass? How short sighted is that? I've seen at least 3 accidents there over the years when two cars tried to enter the underpass at the same time. And, while I'm at it, I think the new Covert Ave underpass should have been built a few feet wider. It seems they made it as narrow as possible. To me, they are cutting corners in some places.
 #1588058  by robertwa

Also, they should have widened the Nassau Blvd. underpass to 2 lanes in each direction. Why continue the bottleneck. It's stupid, if you ask me.
 #1588083  by Head-end View

My guess is that the Village of Garden City wants to discourage people from driving into their idyllic residential areas, so they make it as difficult as possible.

Re: the Covert Ave. underpass, I think LIRR made it as wide as they could given the limited amount of space they had to work with. Same as in Westbury with Urban Ave. and School St. And I find Covert Ave. much easier to drive thru than School St. which came out the worst of all of the new underpasses on the Main-Line.
 #1588131  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - As we end 2021 as some here know the Village of Garden City has appealed the NYS Supreme Court
ruling in favor of the LIRR and 3TC. The same NIMBY group that has issues with the tall power poles has made a
vow to continue their opposition to ongoing work plans. This creates substantial problems with the 3TC timeline.

There was mention to spending an added $50 million dollars to construct a temporary bridge to keep the 3TC
Project completion from being delayed from its scheduled December 2022 completion at Denton Avenue.

If GC again loses this court case on appeal - and if 3TC has to spend the extra dollars - the Village of Garden City
should be forced to re-imburse to the MTA the actual cost of delaying completion of the Third Track Project.

The LIRR and MTA should have the option of closing altogether the underpass to auto traffic until there is an
written agreement about the new replacement bridge going forward. This should have been as mentioned
previously a two-lane underpass constructed. At minimum there needs to be traffic signals installed on both
sides of the Denton Avenue/Tanners Pond Road underpass with the retention of a single lane width by GC.

RWA: The Nassau Boulevard replacement bridge used the "footprint" of the previous bridge with the road
width being kept the same. With H-E's mention of the narrow roadway at School Street-Westbury this will
something to further take notice to on an area visit in the near future...

A Happy New Year to all for 2022 - and hopefully we will be celebrating the completion of the Third Track
Project along with the opening of East Side Access among important developments at this time next year...
MACTRAXX
 #1588136  by photobug56

This would be a good time for LIRR to emulate Tfl, Transport For London. Publish your basic ESA and 3tc test plans, and make it easy for us to find representative videos of the testing and progress.
 #1588188  by Head-end View

MACTRAXX, I thought I read a week or so ago that the State Appellate Court has upheld the Supreme Court's ruling on the MTA's position on the Garden City issues and ordered them to issue the permits.

Re: the School St. underpass, I didn't mean to imply that it's narrower than the others. I believe the roadway is the same two-lane width as all the other two-lane underpasses. The problems arise from the stop signs halfway up the hill in both directions and a very tight T-intersection with Railroad Ave. on the south side. You'll see how awkward it is when you drive thru it.
 #1588564  by AHunter3

Headline from local weekly, the New Hyde Park Herald Courier, 12/30/21:

G.C. refuses to issue permits for bridge: MTA

subtitle in smaller letters below that:

Transit authority files motion to have village placed in contempt of court