Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Locomotive Engineer Position

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#525839  by lovebug11768

I am thinking about apply for the LIRR Locomotive Engineer position and was wondering what type of salary the LIRR offers for that position.

Also, what are the chances of them hiring an external candidate? I have no locomotive experience but I am a commercial pilot and certified flight instructor with a master's degree. I am also female, if that has any relevance.

Any info will help. Thanks :)

#526054  by Endlessquest

Hello Lovebug,

APPLY, APPLY, APPLY!!! . I sent in a resume for the Locomotive Engineer Trainee position in October after seeing it on their web site. They called me in for an interview in January. After 3 tests and 2 interviews, I began my 6 week phase one training today.

Most of the people at the first orientation were off the street and in their 30's and 40's.

The railroad wants mature, career orientated people with any kind of work history that involves shift work, safety and commitment.

With your aviation background you would be the ideal candidate. You have already demonstrated that you can obtain a federal license, safely operate complex equipment and make critical decisions involving the safety of passengers and crew.

#526163  by lovebug11768

Thanks for the reply. Do you know what salary, vacation, benefits, etc. they offer?

#526291  by Endlessquest

Pay...$25 and change/hr during the 13 month phase 2 training, then $36 and change/hr after qualifying.

Full benifit package 100% funded by company.

Two weeks vacation until yr 3, then 3 weeks toping out with 5 weeks after 15 years.

#526430  by jz441

Endlessquest wrote:Pay...$25 and change/hr during the 13 month phase 2 training, then $36 and change/hr after qualifying.
Don't you train on your own time first 3 months?

#526453  by Endlessquest

Don't you train on your own time first 3 months?
The phase one training is 6 weeks long, two days per week and is not compensated.

If you pass the phase one testing and the physical exam, you are offered employment with the railroad and proceed into the 13 month phase two training program. You are paid 70% of the full salary and receive the full benefit package. You also join the BLE union at this time.

You must pass a mid term and final during phase two training and once you qualify as a locomotive engineer, you then go to 100% pay and compensated for your phase one training.

#526595  by jz441

Thanks for the info... :-D
Sounds fair enough!

#526669  by lovebug11768

Thanks for all the info. I was wondering - what is the scheduling like for a beginning engineer? Do you work 8 hour shifts, 40 hours a week, 5 days a week.

#527095  by Endlessquest

what is the scheduling like for a beginning engineer? Do you work 8 hour shifts, 40 hours a week, 5 days a week.

You are guaranteed 40 hours per week with two consecutive days off.

You may work the "Extra List" where each day you wait to be called and assigned a job for that day. You will be given 3 hours to report to that job. Again, you are guaranteed 40 hours per week with two consecutive days off.

You may own a job where you work that same job every day. Being low on the seniority list you will probably own a job out of the west side, nights with two week days off.

BTW, during the 13 month phase two training, you'll mostly have Saturdays and Sundays off as well as holidays.
 #1426248  by Wohlfarthjg

Just found out i passed my signals and definitions test and i'm going for a panel interview on the 12th of april. Looks like the 6 weeks of non compensated training is in the near future for me. What exactly is covered in this training and is it as intense as learning the signals and definitions?
 #1427097  by briandiana

Wohlfarthjg wrote:Just found out i passed my signals and definitions test and i'm going for a panel interview on the 12th of april. Looks like the 6 weeks of non compensated training is in the near future for me. What exactly is covered in this training and is it as intense as learning the signals and definitions?
Congrats!! When did you go for the initial interview that was held in Babylon? And how long was the time period between the initial interview and when you were sent for your SD training? Thanks and good luck with your panel interview!!
 #1427534  by Wohlfarthjg

My initial open house and test was on december of 2016 but it was in hillside, never been to babylon for anything. but it was over 2 months until i heard i was a candidate to attend signal and definition overview. After i went back and took the test i heard from them about 2 weeks later that i had passed. My panel interview is tomorrow. My question is how involved is the 6 weeks of training?