Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Locomotive Engineer Colorblind employment

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1340906  by Sonicpoint

Hey Guys,

I just got called for Engineer, however I have a slight deficiency in my color vision, so I am debating if I should go for it.
Do you get a color vision test, if so what test is it? The ishihara?
At what point in the process do they give you this exam?
 #1340922  by DutchRailnut

yes, and they will give Ishihara test every 3 years with company physical.
If you know your color deficient , are you going to put up to 1000 passengers at risk with every train you move ??
that should be question , not when will they test.
 #1340931  by Head-end View

Is the Ishihara test the one where you have to pick the numbers out of different colors on each page?

Dutch, I think the reason he was asking when they test is so that he doesn't waste a lot time and effort getting hired only to be disqualified later in the process.

Sonicpoint, I would go for it anyway. Might you be able to pass the test even with the slight deficiency? Even if they disqualify you, at least you know you tried; gave it your best shot.
Last edited by Head-end View on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1340940  by ADL6009

I would go to where there are color signals on the LIRR and see how well you can tell what is red green or yellow. If there is any doubt at all to you what color is what on the signal you shouldn't be an engineer. If you can tell what each color is plain as daylight I don't see the problem.
 #1340959  by Sonicpoint

Hey Guys,

Thanks for helping me with this!
Yea I am asking so I don't waste anyone's time (or risk lives)
Its not a terrible deficiency. I have passed the alternative test (farnsworth 15 for LE jobs)
You need 8 plates to be considered "normal" I typically hit 7 without an issue.
 #1340982  by Kelly&Kelly

You cannot qualify nor remain qualified as a Conductor or Engineer (or any operating position) if you cannot pass the LIRR's test. But many employees can pass the test though they possess some amount of color blindness. If I were you, I would pursue the position while visiting an ophthalmologist who specializes in this area to help you improve your color perception to the point that you can qualify. You would not be the first, by any means, to do this.

You may also wish to research the FRA's requirements on it in the Code of Federal Regulations. You can start by searching "49 CFR §240.121" which governs this on the LIRR.
 #1340990  by Sonicpoint

I am not sure. I think conductors have to take the same signals tests the engineers do.
Dont quote me on that though, I am new to all this.
To be perfectly honest I am surprised I got called for this, Ive been applying for over 10 years, my friends are surprised as well.
 #1341312  by DutchRailnut

a field test is not normally used for new hirees, only to give current employees a chance to stay employed when Isihara is not passed.