Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Branch Closings and the NY & A

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #103095  by peconicstation

Although many feel that the proposed closing of three LIRR branches is "bluffing" on the part of the MTA/LIRR, we here on the North Fork are not taking the threat lightly, and we will have at least one person representing us at the LIRR Presidents Forum on Wed March 9.

One question that needs an answer is that IF the LIRR closed the main line east of Ronkonkoma and tore up the tracks east of Yaphank (as their proposal states) what compensation is the NY & A owed since they are running freight service east as far as Southold Village on a regular basis.
For that matter could they remove tracks where the NY & A runs??

Do the other 2 branches (OysterBay and West Hemp) faced with closure have any NY & A service?

Ken
 #103111  by freightguy

The branches being closed are probably more of a scare tactic than
anything else. I don't think they can do that with the interstate commerce with the freight. The NYA isn't filing for abandoment. The Ronkonkoma to Greenport section is one of the busiest for NYAR. It probably is one of the sections with the most potential for growth. I figured the same would hold true for commuter ridership with all the building out here.

The Oyster Bay didn't have any active consignee's when NYAR started. I think the last guy up there was Nassau Suffolk lumber till about the mid-90's. The W. Hempstead had Baisley Lumber till about 2001/02. I think they just ripped out the switch and Baisley is long gone.

#103190  by Legio X

Did'nt Baisley relocate to Holtsville or Medford on the Main Line?

#103416  by jayrmli

They relocated to Holtsville, and then proceeded to go belly up.

Jay

#103541  by Sir Ray

jayrmli wrote:They relocated to Holtsville, and then proceeded to go belly up.
Man, kind of hard to believe, as I have lived a few dozen blocks from their old Valley Stream/Lynbrook location (about 4-5 blocks north of Merrick Rd, next to the power transformer station) for over 30 years, and they were always there (it was one of the very few places I was guaranteed to find actual freight cars on Long Island, within walking/biking range). Was it 3 years back they had a massive fire on one of their lots (it was the lot on the south side of the main building, right now the new owners store trucks on it - not sure if they were trying to lease/sell that lot before the fire or not - I do remember the siding on the houses across the track were charred and melted). Anyway, Baisley started leasing out several of their buildings in their complex (which spread across the Railroad and Hendrickson Ave area of Lynbrook), and then one day just disappeared - wonder if the cost of moving to Holtsville killed them (or at least applied the final blow - remember, they were in Lynbrook for at least 30 years).
Also, anyone know why the new owners of the property (which also deal in building supplies) declined to use rail service?

#103687  by jayrmli

It wasn't the cost of moving to Holtsville that killed them. In fact, Holtsville was quite profitable. They had another site in Staten Island that bled the operation dry. (Or so I was told by their successor, Sherwood Lumber)

Jay

#104547  by Long Island 7285

When they has the fire in the location in Lynbrook i remberber seeing the Flames, form my house wich is 3 blocks west of thre (stright line).
it was a monster blaze and damaged the houses aginsed the tracks. after that i never seen another freight there again.