Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Alco C420s

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#647305  by Nova55

I was told they were sold to a RR in Suriname, but the deal fell through and Nap torched them. Then I was also told that some of them did go over there, and only a few were torched...I do believe its the first choice though.
 #647375  by DutchRailnut

Im not even sure there is a railroad in Suriname, It was out of service 30 years ago.
The deal was the LIRR ALCO's would go to Argentina, to a railroad already 100% ALCO.
The Deal fell thru and they went to Naporanno instead
 #647399  by Alcoman

DutchRailnut wrote:Im not even sure there is a railroad in Suriname, It was out of service 30 years ago.
The deal was the LIRR ALCO's would go to Argentina, to a railroad already 100% ALCO.
The Deal fell thru and they went to Naporanno instead
Correction:
LIRR put out bids on the 8 units. Three bidders took part.

Naparano won the bid. They went to Newark and were supposed to be resold to South America. When the deal fell thru, they were cut up.
 #998239  by Teutobergerwald

Too bad the New York & Atlantic wasn't formed to run the freight business on the LIRR ten years earlier. I'm sure the 222-229 would've been their power...
 #1008825  by Teutobergerwald

Does the Buffalo Southern still operate the former LIRR #221, which I believe was once owned by the NYS&W ??? Thanks.
 #1008858  by Alcoman

Teutobergerwald wrote:Does the Buffalo Southern still operate the former LIRR #221, which I believe was once owned by the NYS&W ??? Thanks.
Yes they do.
John