Railroad Forums 

• LIRR 3 light indicator - ID the part?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1483583  by BuddR32

DutchRailnut wrote: My guess its off C-1 coaches
I want to say that’s an M1/M3 side light indicator that’s usually at the ends of the car exterior (F end). Red handbrake applied, yellow brakes applied, green brakes released.[/quote]
[/quote]
deandremouse wrote:
nyandw wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Railro ... SwDRxbcK5z
I want to say that’s an M1/M3 side light indicator that’s usually at the ends of the car exterior (F end). Red handbrake applied, yellow brakes applied, green brakes released.
At first glance it looked like the local brake indicators from an M3 (M1 did not have the red handbrake indicator) but its a larger curved piece, also, the lenses on the M1/M3 indicators are not smooth like these, they have that kaleidoscope type lens.

As for the C-1, they had the same bubble looking lenses that the C3s have.

I don't have a guess for what it is though, only ruling out what it isn't. It may even be from a shop made bench test unit, who knows for sure,
 #1483605  by DutchRailnut

With its rounded plate it sure is not M-1 or M-3
 #1483883  by 452 Card

I agree with BuddR32. Looks to be some kind of test unit. Might have been a demonstrator for a contractual part in an FAI. Nothing like that appeared on any M1, M3, C1,C3 or M7 equipment, and during the acceptance meetings for the C3s and M7s nothing like that was offered during FAI. Maybe early ASC beta unit for the old MUs? That would be the 50's.