Railroad Forums 

• Linux Train Sims

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#85398  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
The subject sort of says it all.... Does anyone know if a full fledged Train Sim program exists for the Linux operating system?
For those that aren't aware, Linux is a free operating system, available in many different distributions. Many love it for its low overhead (ie easy on the machine its running on) and customization. Others just prefer something other than the main stream OSes. Linux is actually the OS that this website runs on I think, along with my own, and the NERail Photo Archive. (photos.nerail.org) Linux in a server (web, mail, file, etc) environment has been around for many years, but slowly but surely, desktops are being switched over.
I have successfully run Train Dispatcher 2, (through a Linux application that allows you to run Windows programs) along with a 'Transport Tycoon' inspired Linux game. Although I love TD2, I miss the hands on feeling that MSTS, trainZ and Train Master provide.
I have tried installing TrainZ Railroad Simulator 2004, that failed. I haven't tried MSTS, but I would assume that wouldn't work, and I'm not sure about Train Master. (I can't find my copies of the latter two, when I do I'll try them out)
Has anyone else had any experience in this area?
Thanks all!
cya, Joey

#86112  by dinwitty

I don't think the current train sims have "put out" to make Linux support like some other games have.

email them, make Bill Gates cringe...

#89825  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
Tis a thought - making Bill Gates cringe that is.
I feel that right now, the perception is that there aren't enough Linux desktop users out there to support games, particularly of the simulation type. I feel that more people would convert if there were games available. Sort of a chicken before the egg thing.
In the mean time - Auran has supposedly gotten TRS 2004 (or a varient there of) working on Mac OS X - Linux can't be far behind!
cya, Joey