Railroad Forums 

• Lined & Locked

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#85624  by O-6-O

While reading the latest reports on the Graniteville,SC wreck on the NS,
its reported that the switch into the siding was lined and locked in the
reverse position. My question is, when a crew is working a job on a siding
is it normal to leave said switch unlocked while they are working? I know
that when they leave the siding and continue on their way the switch is
usually return to the normal postion unless directed not to do so otherwise. This is of course differant than the situation down there as that
train occupying the siding was outlawed and I believe the switch would/
should have been returned to the normal position and locked. God I hope
the crew of that loca didn't screw up, what a thing to have to live with. Any thoughts? Thanks

STEAM ON
/--OOO-;-oo--oo-

#85735  by roadster

Generally, and I use the term loosely. When a local is working an industrial spur where the train may need to make multiple headroom moves over the switch, the switch will be lined and locked for said movement, unless required by the Dsp. to get in the clear which by rule book requires the switch to be lined normal and locked. If I need to use the switch to switchout cars on both tracks then no I don't lock it. I don't like to second guess what may have transpired down there. But if the crew was about to outlaw, one of the last duties of the Conductor would be to line the switch normal, lock it and notify the Dsp. that they were Lined, locked normal and in the clear. It depends upon NS rule book and timetable instructions which I do not have.