Railroad Forums 

• Line through St. Petersburg, FL

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#902457  by carajul

I'm staying in St. Pete's this week and there is a rail line that goes north-south along the entire Peninsula. Track doesn't seem to be in great shape and it's light rail. was a tad rusty but it appeared as though it was not well maintained.

What line is this and how much is it used? I did a google maps and the end of the line in the south is obviously abandoned. Track is in grass and there are cars and equipment parked on the rail. What did it used to serve down at that south end?

All the way in the south the track swings west and paralells Fairfield Ave. There are several spurs and even 2-3 track yards but the track appears to be in deplorable condition. The track fades to grass around 34th St & Fairfield Ave. In fact 28th St, 31st St and also 34th St grade xings are paved over the rails/spurs so I guess CSX has given up on the line. Odd to see a pave over followed by rail and a 4 track yard!

I'm surprised CSX doesn't try to re-acquire some of those customers. Their are active scrap yards and lumber yards all along the line with spurs.