Railroad Forums 

• Lightning strikes

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#290684  by SPACEMONKEY

Does anyone know if railroad tracks or trains ever get struck by lightning? and if not why? seems like they would be during a thunder storm. Thanks

#290812  by David Benton

usually lightning strikes the highest point .
Viaducts etc woul be likely risks , but a lot of railroad is in trenches or at ground level , so not so risky .

#291006  by Peter Radanovic

Yeah, the tracks would have a small chance of getting hit. However, if lightning hits the train, the large amount of metal on the train would dissipate the pressure of the electrical charge, leaving a small chance for a spark that could lite the fuel on fire. Once the charge goes through the rails, nothing outside the affected block will get affected by the charge.
And besides, the area of human establishment are insulated, though the electromagnetic fields present there at the moment of the strike might send some very sensitive equipment to go crazy.

#291069  by BR&P

"Yeah, the tracks would have a small chance of getting hit". That's news to me - this afternoon I had to respond to three (3) crossings which were flashing because lightning hit and damaged the circuitry.

There was another thread on this topic about 6 to 8 months ago, might have been in the Operations forum or maybe this one.

#291143  by GOLDEN-ARM

I was sitting in the cab, of a Lackawanna Electric, at Far Hills, in early '85, waiting for the signal to proceed west, to Peapack. (standing, actually, not seated) It was raining off and on, and as we departed the platform, a bolt of lightning came down a telephone pole, with a "T" box on it, and ripped down the wires, headed east. (it may, or may not, have jumped to the rails, it was too bright, and too fast, to see) The heat of the bolt was felt in the cab, and the crack was almost heart stopping. The signals went out, to the end of the line, but TT allowed us to proceed to the end of the line, and receive written orders, for the west 4 stations, and signal system, to head back east. Closest I have been to lightning, at less than 15 feet from the impact point. It would have made more sense, to nail the catenary, or the poles supporting it, but it went for the phone box, and signal cables. Close enough, for me, though........ :P
Last month, in Carlsbad, lightning hit the rail, at the crossing, in the New Yard, and fried the two crossings, closest to the hit. The gates went up and down for a couple of days, until the crossing maintainers could replace the damaged stuff, which oddly enough, had been replaced the month before, for the same reason. Nobody was there for the hit, but it was reported by the house sitting directly on the corner of the crossing.

#291238  by FarmallBob

Lightning does not necessarily need to score a direct hit to cause problems! The intense magnetic field surrounding a lightning bolt will induce large currents in nearby metal objects like rails and wayside wires. (Example: I had a portable generator - disconnected and stored inside a locked wooden shed – destroyed when lighting stuck a large tree located 10 feet or from the shed

Also I gotta think track-connected components such as track relays and batteries are protected by lighting arresters. When the arresters are “blown”, failsafe circuitry causes highway crossing protection to activate, signals to drop to their most restrictive aspects (or go dark…), etc. Perhaps a signal maintainer reading this can verify??