Railroad Forums 

• Lewiston Industrial Track/Lewiston Lower Rd/Branch status

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1334529  by MaineMG

There has been a fairly steady stream of scrap gons heading out from Grimmels on the LIT in the past few weeks. I saw eight full gons go out on May 20 and I saw 4 more go out on June 3. This is just the ones I happen to catch in the evenings when I am home. I have heard that I missed several other trips by Pan Am during the day. Good to see some traffic on the line.
 #1335821  by MaineMG

Possible PanAM trouble at Grimmels?
I saw a PanAm locomotive haul 7 empty gons west to Grimmel's at 7:35 PM yesterday (6/15/15). Normally the engine returns past my house with any loaded cars in 50 to 70 minutes. It did not seem to return at all, never heard the horns at the crossing all evening. Went to bed at 11pm - nothing. Was not awoken by horns all night. Normally my dogs go berserk every time it goes by - so I know about it. Has anyone heard what might be going on?
 #1335872  by BostonUrbEx

MaineMG wrote:Possible PanAM trouble at Grimmels?
I saw a PanAm locomotive haul 7 empty gons west to Grimmel's at 7:35 PM yesterday (6/15/15). Normally the engine returns past my house with any loaded cars in 50 to 70 minutes. It did not seem to return at all, never heard the horns at the crossing all evening. Went to bed at 11pm - nothing. Was not awoken by horns all night. Normally my dogs go berserk every time it goes by - so I know about it. Has anyone heard what might be going on?
Engine is trapped in Grimels after cars derailed on the customer's track.
 #1336117  by sleepingtree

On my way to work today I passed a large gathering of Pan Am trucks and employees at the River Road Crossing. It included a couple utility trucks and a large boom truck. I'm guessing they were there to right the derailed cars.

When a train derails on a private siding, who has the liability? i.e. is it a cost the railroad eats or does the customer pay?
 #1338577  by MaineMG

Well, whoever is paying for it, the track is now clear and back in use. I witnessed three engines leaving with loaded gondolas back on June 18th (?) and a week later on June 25 more empties were delivered and more loaded cars were removed. The return of empties and removal of loaded cars seems to be a weekly event - often on Thursday evenings...