Railroad Forums 

• Length in time of trip from Albany to Thendara - 1890's

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1065887  by thachertom

Hi,

I am researching Raquette Lake and have found that after 1893, rather than take the Delaware & Hudson to North Creek and then stage coach to Blue and steamboat to Raquette, some chose to take the New York Central Railroad Adirondack Division train to Thendara/Old Forge and take steamboats, carries and stage coach to Raquette from Fourth Lake in Old Forge. Does anyone have a timetable and can calculate (or estimate) how long the trip would have been from Albany to Thendara/Old Forge? Was it even possible to go from Albany to Old Forge on the New York Central Railroad? Would one have to take a different railroad west from Albany and connect with the New York Central Railroad train in Utica in order to travel to Thendara/Old Forge?

I would greatly appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Thank you,

Tom Thacher
 #1066243  by Cactus Jack

Advertising from 1892 when the line opened shows a train leaving NYC 7:30am arr Albany 1:35pm and leave Herkimer at 5:30pm on Adirondack & St. Lawrence Rwy - arrive in Fulton Chain (Thendara) at 8:45pm daily ex. Sunday.

Also a daily train leaving NY City at 8pm, Albany 11:55pm, Herkimer 5:30am (obviously not a direct connection) and arrive Fulton Chain at 8am

In 1893 when the A&St.L was turned over to the NYC RR Train 47 departed NY City at 7pm, Albany 11:15pm, Herkimer at 1:30am, Remsen 2:22am and arrive at Fulton Chain at 3:20am. These trains operated via Herkimer up the rebuilt HN&P narrow gage which was standard gaged and not via Utica.

Hope this gives you some idea. I don't have handy a boat schedule for travel up the Chain of Lakes for that early period.