Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Valley Type 3 Station list

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1044041  by Kendaia1

The next LV station west down the main is Gilbert, NY. (pic of Gilbert Station is at the top of the 2nd page). Gilbert is a small hamlet located roughly between Ovid, NY and Willard, NY, where the LV Main crossed Upper Lake Rd., right near the Gilbert Rd. intersection.
Looking west down the main is Gilbert Cut. And over the cut is the bridge carrying the LV Willard Branch. Those tracks came off the Passenger Main at Hayt's Corners, came up the hill to Ovid Station, and carried on over the Main to Willard Psychiatric Center. Eventually a spur into Willard was put in off the Main Line

here's a later look at Gilbert Station
lvrr.com

looks like it was the railroad itself who removed the original dormers from the roof.
 #1049438  by TB Diamond

Victor, NY did originally have two stations, freight and passenger. The passenger station stood to the east of the freight station and was right on Maple Avenue. This station was shown as "removed" in a 1944 LVRR diagram of the Victor area. Modifications to the freight station were depicted on this same diagram. A photograph of the passenger station reveals that it appeared very similar to the freight station.

All information is located on the Victor Friends Of The Railroad internet site.

The Lima station was the original Rochester Jct. station.
 #1049461  by lvrr325

Well, Lima was like half of it. Question is, was it cut down to move it, or after it had been moved and for some other reason?
 #1049508  by nydepot

Are you sure Rochester Jct wasn't moved in full to Lima and it was cut in half later, due to fire or something? I've seen photos of the full station there.

Charles
 #1049567  by TB Diamond

Have a vague recall of being told several years ago that the Lima station did, indeed, suffer a fire after being moved to Lima which lead to the structure being shortened.

Have not mentioned this before as I have no firm reference for that bit of information.
 #1050700  by Kendaia1

The next LV Station was at Kendaia, a tiny Hamlet situated right between the Seneca Army Depot and Sampson Naval Training Station / Air Force Training Station

image from lvrr.com
 #1330661  by scottychaos

Hey everyone,
im reviving this thread after a three year lull! ;)

Im thinking about making up a webpage for the LV "Type 3" depots, same as I did for the DL&W pagodas:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychao ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will probably be awhile (a year or two) before I make the webpage, as I have a backlog of other webpage updates to get to first.
(I went back to college the past 2 years..webpage creation and updates went on the back burner..)
but I will get to it! eventually..

I revived interest in this topic because of this recent thread about LV depot color:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1425073315" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its clear the "2-tone grey" was a later LV standard color..im curious to work out the original color of these depots too..
that will be another goal, in addition to simply listing all the depots..

From this thread, and other sources, I put together a list of known LV type-3's..
Depots in Green are confirmed, with photos, of being type-3's.
Locations in Red have some uncertainties..I will make separate posts about those..

LV Type 3 depot list:

Alpine NY
Batavia NY
Burdett NY (still standing, original location.)

Caledonia NY ?
Cayuta NY
Caywood NY
Clifton Springs NY

Farmington NY ?
Gilbert NY
Hector NY
Henrietta NY
Kendaia NY

Lima NY ?
Lodi NY
Manchester NY
Mendon NY
Noxen PA (still standing)
Odessa NY
Phelps NY
P&L Junction (still standing, moved)

Rochester Junction NY ?
Rush NY
Yale NY ?
Williamsville NY (still standing, original location.)

thanks,
Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Wed May 13, 2015 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
 #1330665  by scottychaos

Concerning Caledonia NY.
There were probably two different "Caledonia NY" LV depots.
One "in town" where the LV mainline crossed North street.
and a second depot about a mile away at P&L junction.

We know for a fact the depot at P&L junction was a Type 3, that is the depot that still exists at Genesee Country Villiage and Museum.
I suspect the reference to "Caledonia NY" on the list actually refers to P&L junction, and not the "in town" LV depot.
although what style that depot was is not currently known.

Scot
 #1330667  by scottychaos

Concerning Farmington NY.
there is one photo of a Farmington depot:

based only on the dormer window on the roof, it could be a Type 3, but thats really not enough to declare it 100%.
there is no bay window visable, but it could be out of the frame on the left.
need more photos to make the call.

Scot
 #1330670  by scottychaos

Concerning Yale NY.
there is one photo that is marked:

"LV Yale station, Seneca County, N.Y., on Lehigh Valley Railroad. Milepost 337.1"

full size pic:
http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Railroa ... 0337.1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yale NY is between Kendaia and Geneva.
I suspect this photo actually shows the Kendaia depot, as several details match other Kendaia photos.
tracks on both sides of the depot, and the signal is also visible in another Kendaia photo.
this one also needs some more research.

Scot
 #1330680  by scottychaos

Concerning Rochester Junction and Lima NY, they go together, possibly..

I dont have a photo of Lima as I type this, although I think I have seen one in a book..
posts in this thread say an early Rochester Junction depot was moved to Lima and became the Lima depot.

We know Rochester Junction had a freight house that had the same overall pattern as a Type 3 depot, but there are only photos of it in its "freight house" configuration,
there are no known photos of the RJ freight house in a complete Type 3 depot configuration.

The current Rochester Junction freight house depot was built in 2012, a replica of the Rochester Junction freight house.

So, some theorys and mysteries:

RJ unknown 1: Was the Rochester Junction freight house originally a Type 3 depot? later converted to a freight house once the "main" Rochester Junction depot was built? - unknown.
RJ unknown 2: Was the Rochester Junction freight house perhaps built new as a freight house? but based on the overall "pattern" and blueprints of the Type 3 depot, with the same roofline? - unknown.
RJ unknown 3: Was the Lima depot in fact moved to Lima from Rochester Junction? if so, which depot? it couldn't have been the "freight house", as that structure stood into the 1970's.

Rochester Junction photos:

Rochester Junction, year unknown, but probably early 20th century:

Zoomed in on the freight house:

it really has the overall shape of a Type 3 depot. same roof line, and same overall size.
no roof dormers, but those were often removed on other depots.
Was this originally a Type 3 depot? or built new as a freight house based on the Type 3 pattern?

The same freight house near the end of its days.
1971 photo by Vernon Smith.
(sorry, I dont know where that photo originally lived on the internet, so I cant point to it there..so I re-posted it here.)

notice the roof overhangs have been shaved off, but its clearly still the same structure.

another photo of the freight house in its later configuration:

And a diagram I made up for a previous discussion showing how the roof lines compare to the new replica freight house at Rochester Junction:

So..those are all the questions I have!
lets see if we can get these things figured out..

thanks,
Scot
 #1330878  by BR&P

scottychaos wrote:Concerning Yale NY.

Yale NY is between Kendaia and Geneva.
I suspect this photo actually shows the Kendaia depot, as several details match other Kendaia photos.
tracks on both sides of the depot, and the signal is also visible in another Kendaia photo.
this one also needs some more research.

Scot
Scot, I think that actually IS Yale. There was in fact a track which ran behind the station, and when foliage is gone you can still see the grade of it from the main (now FGLK). It's one of those things I went past many times before it jumped out at me, but once you know where to look it's obvious.

Off this topic but FWIW, just a very short distance west of there is the site of a nasty rear-ender in about 1920 or so, a passenger train ate up a caboose and killed 2 or 3 crewmen. :(
 #1330975  by scottychaos

BR&P wrote:
Scot, I think that actually IS Yale. There was in fact a track which ran behind the station, and when foliage is gone you can still see the grade of it from the main (now FGLK). It's one of those things I went past many times before it jumped out at me, but once you know where to look it's obvious.
Thanks! it very well could be Yale.
now that I look at the Kendaia photos more closely, I think I was wrong about them being very similar..
both locations did have tracks on both sides of the depot, but the signal isnt really in the same place..
So I take back the "this might be Kendaia" idea..Yale still seems an unlikely spot for a depot, but its possible..

I'll call it Yale unless proven otherwise..

thanks,
Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Thu May 14, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1330977  by scottychaos

I just re-read this post:
nydepot wrote:Thanks to Rich Jahn at the ARHS for a better explanation of station types:

"...the designation came from the architect who designed these "standard" Buffalo Division stations. There were three versions of the standard station which differed in size. The largest ones such as the one located at Batavia was a type 1, then there was a medium size which was a type 2 and the smallest and most common was the type 3."

Type 3 was also used in Noxen PA and Montrose PA.

What I've found is if a line was built prior to the Buffalo Main, it has other station types. Only if a station needed replacing (burned, etc.) would a station of the Buffalo Type possibly have been built to replace it.

That's why the stations on the old EC&N, etc don't match this type.

Charles
from earlier in this thread..
I was thinking the "Type 1 and Type 2" depots were *totally different* from the Type 3's..like maybe Rochester Junction or Van Etten was a "type 1"..
but I see now thats not what Richard was saying..

He is saying ALL the depots in this thread, the ones we have been listing here, can be Type 1, Type 2 or Type 3 depending on their size.

So Batavia is a "Type 1", because of its length:

While the smaller Odessa is probably a Type 3:

I was thinking ALL the depots of that "style" were Type 3's, and Type 1 and Type 2 was something completely different..
but it seems this "western NY" style, with the disctinctive roofline, roof dormers, 2nd floor end windows and 1st floor bay window, can be Type 1, 2, or 3 depending on size,
even though they all have the same overall styling. Is that how most people understand it?

thanks,
Scot