Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Linear Park - ex-LV main through Monroe County

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#64800  by rls62

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of biking the recently opened Lehigh Linear Park which follows the former LV main line through southern Monroe County. Despite wind gusts to over 40 mph, we biked westward from Mendon Center, all the way to the Genesee River and across the recently renovated bridge to the Genesee Valley Greenway, then back to Mendon Center, a roundtrip of about 30 miles. The new trail has an ample layer of fine gravel and dust, plus a separate, designated trail for equestarians. Unfortunately, some of the horse riders felt it was acceptable to traverse the bike/hike trail, resulting in digging up the newly laid trail plus the usual piles of horse manure. Aside from that, the trail has very good signage and the path is excellent. At Rochester Junction, I noticed that someone has been cleaning up the site of the long gone passenger station(burned in '73), removing dirt and weeds exposing the old platform. An old signal box at the Junction Road crossing has been painted pine green with the LV logo and "Rochester Junction" painted in red, black, and white.

#64822  by Otto Vondrak

The last time I visited the site of Rochester Jct. was maybe four years ago. The platform was clearly there, and you could pick out the remains of the interlocking from the Rochester branch to the Lima branch by noting the placement of relay cabinets and other leftover hardware. Nice to see that the area is getting cleaned up a bit!

-otto-

#64948  by dj_paige

Picture taken facing west along the LV Trail, at Plains Road.
 #65532  by MP366

Nice to hear that things have been upgraded...the last time I rode the trail it was either still leftover ballast or mud/standing water, particularly between Rush and Rochester Jct. Looks like I'll have to give it another spin!

#67657  by chnaus

Bob, just beyond the parking area and to the right is a cement base
to one of the old signals. Mendon Trail group was planning on mounting
an ex-LV target signal on it and lighting it with solar power.

#68002  by FarmallBob

chnaus wrote:Bob, just beyond the parking area and to the right is a cement base to one of the old signals. Mendon Trail group was planning on mounting an ex-LV target signal on it and lighting it with solar power.
Now THAT would be cool!

My fear however is any signal erected along the trail would represent an irresistible target to the gun-toting “sportsmen” (kids) who occasionally turn up on the trail. (Note: It was a matter of only a few days after April 1, 1976 that the pair of block signals - still illuminated - on the main just south of my inlaw’s farm in Caledonia were shot up beyond recognition)

Better such a signal erected at the museum in Rush - joining the working semaphore visible from NY 251. …FB

#68035  by SST

I posted on the other LV trail thread about finding a rail at Roch Jct. If you look at the picture above, the rail is right behind it on the left. If you can bring a small brush and brush off the cinders and rock, perhaps a time stamp can be found. I didn't allow enough time to clear it off.

I agree with the signal. Although I think its a great idea to have it lit along the trail, we all know what those who don't care can do. Keep it safe.