Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Line or Riverline

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#115723  by trainfreak

If you are on a section of the Lehigh Line where NJT runs that would definatley be the busier line with the added NJT traffic. The Riverline is really only busy afternoon, night, and early morning. There is normally a big lull in the traffic from about 11 am to 3 pm.

#115732  by sullivan1985

Trains also get pretty backed up on the River Line the closer you get to RFP, because you get a lot of traffic slowly making its way into the NYS&W Intermodal yard and usually something going north on the other track holding up southern traffic now and then. Plus the whole one track for the majority of the line between Bear Mountain and New Jersey wouldnt help. I've never really explored the Lehigh Line, but from what I know, its mostly double tracked, correct?

#115819  by njt5140

I'd go with the Lehigh Line especially between Roselle Park and Union. There's the NJT action along with NS and CSX. Recently just traveling past the Lehigh Line in spots like South Plainfield or Edison(onthe single track) I've always seen something going through. I'd say the Lehigh is 10x better watching trains since it's easier to keep track of where everything is, ie. and if you have a scanner you'd be able to hear eastbounds calling out the Middlesex detector, or a westbound going through Potter(might be able to hear the horns in the distance). Train volumes are 40-50 per day, as opposed to the River Line's 20-30 per day.

#116118  by trainfreak

However even with slower action on the Riverline it is fun to hear what NJ Dispatch does when he was 4-5 southbounds meeting 4-5 northbounds in a 10 mile area. It was fun hearing him tell a train the other weekend that he was going into the "holding pattern."

#116134  by BlockLine_4111

On the Lehigh Line where do trains going west through Easton, PA end up ?

Some terminating in Allentown ?
Further west on the ex-RDG line ?

Where else ? Any other points ? Further up the LV/CNJ ? Down the RDG to Philly ?

#116138  by TAMR213

BlockLine_4111 wrote:On the Lehigh Line where do trains going west through Easton, PA end up ?

Where else ? Any other points ? Further up the LV/CNJ ? Down the RDG to Philly ?
Westbound NS trains terminate at Allentown, Reading, Harrisburg, Pittsburg, and points west. Westbound CSX trains terminate at Philly and points south. Eastbounds for both will most likely terminate in the NYC terminal area somewhere.

#116188  by njt4172

TAMR213 wrote:
BlockLine_4111 wrote:On the Lehigh Line where do trains going west through Easton, PA end up ?

Westbound NS trains terminate at Allentown, Reading, Harrisburg, Pittsburg, and points west. Westbound CSX trains terminate at Philly and points south. Eastbounds for both will most likely terminate in the NYC terminal area somewhere.

To expand on the question....Further west consists of Bellevue, Ohio, Detroit, and Chicago.....Some trains diverge at Harrisburg and head south to Atlanta........

Steve

#116209  by BlockLine_4111

Let's back up to my original question for a moment and not go any further west than the Keystone state.

So NS trains will either terminate in Allentown or go further west on the ex-RDG ? Any NS trains going to Philly on the ex-RDG from here or up the ex-LV/CNJ to destination anywhere ?

Someone mentioned CSX trains. Do they only diverge at BB to take the ex-RDG to Philly or do some also go to Allentown and then down to Philly from there ?