Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh & Lake Erie

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#506862  by WNYP431

Along the west side of the I-90 in Buffalo, between the I-190 exit and the NY400 exit, there were two or three bridges on the L&LE Branch. Does anyone have pictures of them, and were they deck plate-girder or through plate-girder? I know the one over the creek used to have a concrete abutment in the middle of the water that used to cause ice jams in the winter time. The old deck-plate bridge over Cazenovia creek is still there, but I don't remember the others.

In addition, there is a small brick 2 or 3 story building up on the right of way on what would have been the east side of the tracks. Was this building there in the early 70's, and if so, what was it? Seems abandoned now.

www.saveniagarajunction.com

Thanks, boys.

#516431  by colorado

Both bridges were long Deck plate girder types. They were removed sometime in the mid eighties if memory serves me right.

#516498  by WNYP431

Thanks! That helps a great deal. Maybe someday I'll come across photos or slides.

#516758  by colorado

I know I never got any photos of the bridges or traffic moving over them. LV only ran a handful of trains over them in later days and the only decent vantage point to get pix was off the NYS thruway, not the kind of place condusive to parking for long spells waiting for a train to come by. Who knows, something might turn up but due to the reasons I pointed out, I suspect that even though they would have made good photo locations, I think pixs will actually be pretty hard to find....

#516954  by TB Diamond

Will agree that the L&LE, for whatever reason, was not photographed all that much. Shot the branch a few times at Tifft Jct., from the Ridge Road overpass, from the B&O bridge and from the Tifft Street bridge. Never got down through the brush to try for a shot on one of the bridges, alas.

Regular traffic was light on the L&LE: LV-2, JB-3, TTN-1 and NTT-2, BPL-6 and PLB-5 plus the light power off Apollo-1 and light power for the Apollo-2, this in the final few years of operation.
 #1389888  by pumpers

TB (and others), related to the thread going on right now in the NY Railfan forum about the picture on the Lehigh & Lake Erie branch in the mid 1970's, near Ridge Interlocking, do you have any idea when the branch was downsized from double to single track. Or at least "it must have been before_____".
Thanks, Jim S