• (Legal) Access to Port Reading Junction

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by kpiersol

Can any of you offer advise on the best way to (legally?) access Port Reading Junction for photography? Thanks much.

by Gruntled

Meg, where was the former Manville station? This is the first I've heard of it...

by Ken W2KB

Meg, do you mean parallel to and south (or southeast) of the existing bridge over South main? I'll try and look for it this Friday enroute to the Manville Airport. Weather permitting for the flight, anyway.

by Ken W2KB

Thanks, Meg. I'll look for it from the ground. A bit too busy that close to the airport to look at it from above. :wink:

by Gruntled

Thanks Meg for the info and the link. I checked it out on foot yesterday. As for the USGS link, I've been roaming NNJ, looking at all my friends' roofs.

If the West Trenton line does happen I would like to see a stop at Manville.

by Ken W2KB

Meg, I took a look at the filled-in old bridge and platform steps at Manville this afternoon after I got back from my flight out to just south of the Allentown, PA area. Turned the car around in what was probably the driveway to the passenger station area.

Thanks again for pointing out this artifact.

by OCtrainguy

There is a photo in the December 2004 issue of Railpace taken close to the junction itself. It's on Page 4. The spot where it was taken from is just before the former Reading bridge, with NS 212 crossing the Lehigh Valley bridge.