Railroad Forums 

• LEASED LIRR C-420s, 1964

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #612959  by Noel Weaver

Long Island Rail Road engines 207 and 208 ran 138 miles each on the New Haven Railroad during the month of December,
1964. My records do not list the exact dates nor trains that these engines operated on.
The above year was more or less a year of transition for motive power on the NHRR. The new U-25b's and C-425's started
to arrive and the FA's (0400's) and PA's (0760's) were going through a phase out for the most part and leased locomotives
from the Lehigh and Hudson River made several trips between Maybrook and Cedar Hill mostly during September and
October.
The 300's Virginian locomotives arrived in 1963 but it wasn't until early 1964 that they were all in service between Bay Ridge
and Cedar Hill.
Noel Weaver
 #613012  by Paul

Thank you Noel. As always you are a wealth of info. I wonder if these two units were placed in service during the trip from Schenectady to Long Island?
 #613019  by Noel Weaver

Paul wrote:Thank you Noel. As always you are a wealth of info. I wonder if these two units were placed in service during the trip from Schenectady to Long Island?
Negative, all of the C-420's were on the LIRR well before December, 1964.
Noel Weaver
 #613089  by TomNelligan

Noel Weaver wrote:Long Island Rail Road engines 207 and 208 ran 138 miles each on the New Haven Railroad during the month of December,
1964. My records do not list the exact dates nor trains that these engines operated on.
Just speculating here... that 138 miles is way short of a round trip between Maybrook and Cedar Hill, but it basically matches the round trip mileage between Oak Point and Cedar Hill. Maybe they covered a trip on HN-2 and NH-1, which ran with diesel power even after the Virginians arrived?
 #613134  by Noel Weaver

TomNelligan wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:Long Island Rail Road engines 207 and 208 ran 138 miles each on the New Haven Railroad during the month of December,
Just speculating here... that 138 miles is way short of a round trip between Maybrook and Cedar Hill, but it basically matches the round trip mileage between Oak Point and Cedar Hill. Maybe they covered a trip on HN-2 and NH-1, which ran with diesel power even after the Virginians arrived?
With 138 miles it seems to me it might have been Oak Point to Cedar Hill and return or maybe something out of Fremont.
I am not sure that the miles are necessarily 100 per cent accurate. With the records I have, it will probably remain a
mystery.
Noel Weaver
 #615982  by Phil12string

There was a picture of the two LI C-420's on the New Haven in TRAINS magazine in 1965. They were trailing units in the lash up, following 3 NH RS-3's. The photo was taken on the western bridge approach just after they cleared the bridge on their way to Maybrook. I have a copy of that issue "somewhere" in the basement.