Railroad Forums 

• Leased F40s

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1550642  by Pensyfan19

I think I remember seeing freight railroads such as Norfolk Southern and Union Pacific leasing Amtrak F40s in the mid to late 90s. Those images also included at least three Amtrak F40s behind a line of freight cars. Does anyone know what freight railroads leased F40s and what happened to them after their leases expired? (not counting LTEX)
 #1550654  by STrRedWolf

I doubt it was a lease and more of a rescue, and Amtrak's equipment was the closest to perform the rescue to the next yard. I remember (and have photos) of MARC 68, the last GP40WH-2, rescuing a freight load off the NEC and putting it in the MoW yard in Odenton.
 #1550666  by GWoodle

Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:43 pm I think I remember seeing freight railroads such as Norfolk Southern and Union Pacific leasing Amtrak F40s in the mid to late 90s. Those images also included at least three Amtrak F40s behind a line of freight cars. Does anyone know what freight railroads leased F40s and what happened to them after their leases expired? (not counting LTEX)
In the late 90's the few useable F40's would be sold & rebuilt by other railroads. CN put a pair into Algoma Central then sold to D&RGW for winter train/ski train service. CSX bought a pair for business train Santa train service. NS may have tried them for roadrailer service. Because of the wide car body would be nearly useless for freight service. By now anything else not rebuilt sent to the scrap yard.
 #1550679  by eolesen

Grand Canyon wound up with a couple that replaced their ancient Alcos, and are still in use.

Iowa Pacific sub SLRG had a couple as well.
 #1550713  by mtuandrew

eolesen wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:25 amIowa Pacific sub SLRG had a couple as well.
Rail World Leasing is still shopping around the F40M-2F in case you want one: http://www.railworldinc.com/forms/F40M-2F-Back.pdf

CSX picked up a pair of F40PHs for its executive train too, but they don’t appear on freight trains as far as I know.
 #1550931  by CNJGeep

NS did use Amtrak F40s in freight service not long after they were retired. They were dogs on the mixed freights but were likened to being in a race car when placed on RoadRailers. Crews were not terribly fond of them owing to them not being terribly easy to get into. A quick Google search of "Amtrak F40S freight NS" should yield some results.

VIA and GO F40s also found their way into freight service every so often. In fact, the GO ones were leased to CN every weekend to be returned on Sunday night.
 #1550932  by R36 Combine Coach

CNJGeep wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:42 pm VIA and GO F40s also found their way into freight service every so often. In fact, the GO ones were
leased to CN every weekend to be returned on Sunday night.
Exactly what EL did with the U34s - take them as far west as Buffalo, even Cleveland on the weekend, but more
often than not unable to return to Suffern or Port Jervis by Monday AM.